Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

My daughter's 2012 Outlander just came up with "ACS Sytem Service

Customer Question

My daughter's 2012 Outlander just came up with "ACS Sytem Service required" and she is telling me she can't even start her car.
What can we do? She is traveling out of state.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
The ASC system is for the traction control, and apart from something really unusual like the throttle body malfunctioning there isn't any real reason this should prevent the engine from running.
When the problem occurred, was she driving and it happened or did she go to start the car and it just suddenly occurred (from an off state)?
What is the mileage on the car (roughly)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found out she had parked the car and was hanging out playing music on the stereo. I just read that it could be that the battery has drained if she didn't have the auxiliary power on? She says she is trying to start the car but she can't press on the brake pedal in order to push the start button.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
That certainly sounds pretty plausible... if the voltage gets below a certain level it will set faults in the ASC/ABS as well as SRS systems... and of course would not allow the engine to start if power is that low.
Can you elaborate on not pushing the brake pedal? Is it just that it has gotten too hard from pushing it with the engine off (depleting the vacuum assist)? If so, just pushing with a lot of weight on the pedal will be sufficient IF that is the only issue with the start button... if the voltage is low, the start button won't work anyway.