Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi endeavor xlw: have a 2004 endeavor xls awd with

Customer Question

have a 2004 endeavor xls awd with error code 0118. temperature gauge does not move. checked sensor and thermostat and both checked out okay. noticed when i removed the ect sensor, that the two wires leading to the ect connector had been spliced so thinking that be be the issue. also, engine idles high; was thinking this is because the computer thinks the engine has not warmed up.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hi,It sounds like you are right on track... the P0118 fault is only going to be set by the coolant temp sensor or the wiring (well, or the PCM but that is ridiculously unlikely). Seeing damage/repairs to the wiring is DEFINITELY a big red flag there.Have you examined the splices to see if there is concern there? For example wiggling the splices to see if you get a reading, or opening the insulation to look at the work (not sure what exactly the repair looks like and if this is possible of course)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, to both. I carefully removed the insulation and the wires had been joined with a butt connector. i replaced the sensor and the temp gauge did not move; i wiggled the wires and had someone else observe the temp gauge--still no movement
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.Given that they are butt connectors which is a huge problem in itself, do you have enough room (again not sure on where the repair is physically) to clip the butt connectors off and directly connect the wires (just a temporary strip/twist/tape would be sufficient for testing purposes)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, believe there is enough wire to do so. can try in the morning....
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Lets do that before anything else... then if we have confirmation we can deal with properly soldering it etc. If there is no temperature reading on scan tool or gauge, then we will dig further in with full wire testing etc. Would you like to leave this open and regroup in the morning, or are you ready to close out tonight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, lets re-engage tomorrow
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem, just post back here when you are ready to continue and I will be notified and you will be put in my queue. Please do not "re list" the question or open a new question or I will not be able to see your response... just post back here and I will get with you as soon as I see it.