Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder: My 2003 Eclipse's headlights are

Customer Question

My 2003 Eclipse's headlights are blinking hi and low when I turn the key on. Thought it was aftermarket alarm so I disconnected it. Didn't change. The ECU in the fusebox is clicking with the lights. I pulled the fuses for the hi beams but lost my radio and clock, but I can drive it now. Any ideas?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Please make two inspections for me, in this order:
1) Go to the under hood fuse panel and locate the two IOD fuses, the ones with the yellow fuse holder around them (if you do not see a yellow fuse holder it may have been removed, in which case just verify each fuse individually). Pull up hard on the fuse holder to release it from the fuse panel, then use needle nose pliers to remove the fuses from the holder and inspect them. Tell me if one or both are blown.
2) Unhook the battery and reconnect it. Take your key and insert it into the drivers door and turn it to unlock two times, then get in the car and see if the light operation changed any.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the car second hand and don't have a door key. I used the after market keyless entry to lock and unlock the doors until in unhooked it last week.The car is at home so I will look at those fuses tonite
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
Check those fuses out when you get home as there is a high probability one or both are popped.
You will likely need to get a key made for the door however... When the alarm (factory alarm) gets tripped the lights behave this way... And without the factory remote you will need to use the door key to manually unlock the door twice, sending the cancel signal to the computer to disarm the alarm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Doug. I see the payment for your service is gone through. Good. This won't continue to come out each month I hope?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Correct, you are on a pay-per-question plan as far as I can see (if you were subscription it would appear slightly different to me).
Once you issue a rating it will apply that deposit to this question, crediting my time. You will not see another charge unless you open a new question (And so a new deposit is taken etc).
If you need more help on this subject you can always return to this page for more assistance; there is no charge for additional help on the same subject, just do not "re list" or post a new question, as not only will I not see those, but also a new deposit will be drafted if you do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled those fuses in the yellow casing and they were good. Then when I put them back everything was ok? Got my radio and clock back too.This morning it was the same thing again? Blinking lights but this time my clock and radio still worked when I pulled the hi beam fuses? Wow. Anyway, it's ok for now I guess...Just no Hi beams
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
They were likely just a little bit loose. It is not uncommon to have to stick your little finger down there to full seat them in some cases, as they do from time to time work loose.
The fuse issue has taken care of the radio/clock situation, but the alarm situation with the lights flashing is still going to need to be addressed. Again using either the remote or the key in the drivers door will cancel the alarm and take care of the light issue etc permanently. If you absolutely can not get a proper key made for the door, you could have a shop take the door panel off and manually operate the key detection switch on the back of the lock cylinder to simulate the key turning, or even manually ground the unlock wire on the switch to permanently disable the alarm. Obviously the ideal solution would be to get a key cut for the door though.