Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Montero Limited: My temperature gauge has indicated

Customer Question

My temperature gauge has indicated the hottest temperature, but the coolant temperature measures 205-7. And today the dash temp gauge was in the middle for most of my trip but inched up after each stop. When I press the accelerator, the temp gauge goes down a bit.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Whenever the "hot" condition is present on the gauge you have verified the vehicle is in fact operating at normal temperatures (under 225 or so by sensor reading)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did three days ago at the merchant's shop. The car ran for more than 10 mins while we monitored the coolant temp with the handheld under the dash plug-in vs the dash temp gauge reading.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Great, so we have strictly an instrumentation issue rather than an actual hot running condition.
Are we lucky enough that it would misbehave for us on command? If so, when the one-wire temp sensor on the water neck is unhooked, does the gauge go to zero, or more like 1/3 etc?
Are you comfortable with doing any disassembly yourself so we could make an inspection behind the cluster?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, thank you.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
If you would like I can give you a series of inspections that the shop can make to try to narrow this down, or I can just put the odds out there for you based on what we see the most?