Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Howdy I have 01 mirage new battery and starter the voltage

Customer Question

Howdy I have 01 mirage new battery and starter the voltage is good to starter when I turn the key the voltage drops to 0 and the starter makes a clack sound I know it grounding out some where I checked all the fuse and relays still cant find the short any suggestions thanks
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the voltage drops to zero across the battery posts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no at the starter terminals
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
You are seeing voltage on the small signal wire while the key is held to Start though right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked all the wiring connections I looked for any stripped or anything that might be grounding out. If Im under standing your question correctly ,when I turn the key to start or crank it up the voltage drops to zero . do you know if this car has an in line fuse? cant find a shop manual for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have correct voltage at the starter until the key is turned
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
There is not an inline fuse to the starter. The load cable is a direct run from the battery to the starter, and the signal wire is fed off the ignition switch... if its fuse was bad you would have no power inside the vehicle.
The signal wire, the small wire on the starter, should not have voltage at rest, only when turned to Start. Ignoring the main starter cable, can you please double check the signal by unplugging the signal wire, testing for voltage at rest, then testing again with the key held in the Start position by a helper?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I will check again, give me a few minutes. Thanks
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ! It was a single black wire coming off the starter . The key was in off position. I unhooked the little black wire I put my voltmeter on thr pos terminal at starter and touched the black wire . It showed 12.98 volts
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
That isn't an accurate measurement, as you are using the positive cable/post on the starter, reversing the polarity. So that explains a little bit about your readings.
So lets take a different approach.
Take a scrap piece of wire and use it to connect the battery cable/terminal on the starter to the signal terminal where the small wire connected. Does the starter kick or does it still make the single clack sound?
If it still makes the clack sound, take a 22mm socket and try to rotate the crank shaft pulley clock wise just to make sure it is not stuck/seized.
Let me know what you find on those inspections and we will continue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already checked the crank, it turns. I did the other wire test you first suggested and tried to start the voltmeter dropped to 0 on the little wire ,when the key was turned to start. I will go out and try the bi pass.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I touched the jump wire from the starter terminal to the little wire tab on the starter it makes a click sound
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Please reconnect the signal wire to the terminal like normal.
Then take a set of jumper cables and use one cable to connect to the battery positive terminal on one end and the starter cable terminal on the other end (the "other" cable on the jumper cable set we aren't using).
Then use the key to check operation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah! already tried the jumper cable deal, same thing happened.. Its getting dark now so I will go out tomorrow and try it again . I will let you know what happens .. thanks for your time! will I be talking to you again or someone else?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Lets give it another go tomorrow... if it behaves the same way, pull the starter out and manually bench test it.... hook both the positive terminals like above, but also connect the ground cable between the metal mounting area of the starter and the negative battery terminal. If there is any question about the battery health, try it on a different cars battery (not sure how long you've been at it and if the new battery may be getting weak).
When you return tomorrow just come back to this page and post again like you have been. I will be notified, and if I am not at work yet you will be put in my queue for priority response. Please do not "re list" the question or post a new question, or I won't be able to see your response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI I already took the starter back to the parts store and had it tested. It checked out ok. Brand new... This frickin problem is driving me nuts.. Hopefully this will get resolved soon. don't want to hire a mechanic if I can get it going with your help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh yeah you are a mechanic! lol
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hehe.
Just remember there isn't a whole lot to it.... battery power, connections to the battery/starter, signal from the key, and the starter itself are about it.
We've ruled out the engine being locked, we've ruled out the signal from the key (same thing when directly shorted, plus you are seeing voltage trip from the key), so that means pretty much battery/cable/starter.
We'll get it :)
No need to reply to this tonight; I am leaving for the night right now anyway. We can pick up when you are able tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Howdy Doug, I hooked the little black wire back up Then did the jumper cable test and turned the key to start it made a clicking sound like when you have a low battery or dirty terminals, so I put the battery on the charger. That's where I am right now.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Something isn't adding up here.
When you bench test it the starter works... when you effectively bench test it in the car (running your own cables to the battery), it no longer works. Are we certain that battery isn't faulty (I know you said it was new), or the connections on the battery terminal/ground aren't damaged etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I took the starter back to the store and they tested it. Maybe it is the battery. I had my buddy come over he is a pretty good mechanic . He gave up. Could it possibly be in the key switch?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Nope.... you see the voltage switching when you turn the key to Start, -and- you eliminated that possibility by manually applying voltage to the signal wire anyway, skipping the switch altogether.
Lets get that battery charged up and then re-check operation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I am done for the day . I will give it a good charge and try tomorrow! Thanks
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem.