Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi eclipse: so our 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse v6 spyder

Customer Question

so our 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse v6 spyder decided to do something funky last night. coming down a hill, it made a noise like you put it in neutral, then literally went in neutral. the R, P lights are lite, the N light was flashing but the car wont move. It is like it goes into the gears when you look under the hood but its not moving. It is making a clicking sound now too, which it never did. It never had any issues, no slipping nothing until last night. . Its and automatic with 137K. I have read/heard everything from a new tranny, a broken axle.. help!
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
With the lack of motion and noise, the transmission or axles are your only realistic expectations here.
If you put the car in gear with the front end elevated do either of the wheels move at all when revved?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea. We used a car dolly to tow it and it was a pain in the tail to get on it however once rolling it seemed to move ok. It never once slipped, or had any issue going into gears before. It will even go into each gear but no movement. The motor sounds perfect, just a clicking noise is the way I can describe it in the back area I guess behind the motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read it can be torque converter too.
Would an axel make the neutral light flash?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Highly unlikely to be the torque converter on this model.
Can we perform the inspection I asked about, regarding elevating the front wheels off the ground and checking for movement in gear?
If not, please perform this inspection instead:
With the vehicle level and the engine OFF, check the fluid level in the transmission and make a note of where it is on the dipstick.
Then start the engine and let it idle and check the fluid level again and make note of where it is on the dipstick.
How do the two readings relate to each other (equal, one higher/one lower, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's about the same very little change.
I can't put it up off the ground :-(
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
That is OK.
If there is very little change (less than 1/4") then that tells us a good bit.
If you can, please unhook one of the cooler hoses (the ~5/8" hoses) from the radiator and have a helper start the engine. Is there very little pressure pushing the fluid out of the hose?