Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Diamante LS: dont have the the holes to pull then

Customer Question

dont have the the holes to pull then rotors how do i back off the brakes
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Do you not have a rubber plug on the back side of the spindle, near the top of the brake mechanism?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where the cable hooks up ?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No, up top....like shown in this diagram:

http://i.imgur.com/9jtATC2.png
Note that these do not have a wheel type adjuster. If you can not get it off there, you would be forced to loosen the cable at the brake lever. It really should just slide off though, is it just hanging up on the lip or is it --stuck-- like the cable is seized?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
brakes hanging up can barely turn hub need to get shoes backed off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cable is off
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I apologize, I had an urgent matter I had to address.
If the cable is off and you are unable to remove leverage on the shoes, then there is a seizure inside the assembly. Again these do not have a traditional adjuster wheel you can back off... the cables put spring tension on that lever they hook up to, and that is it.
In this case, if you have the cable off and moving the lever doesn't improve matters, you are going to have to use brute force to get the rotor off... use a block of wood and a sledge hammer to hit it in the caliper location (with caliper off, of course) from the back side. If you are replacing the rotors anyway, you can skip the block of wood.
Be aware that a slight amount of resistance from the shoes is normal... they will drag a little and make noise when turned by hand with the caliper off. It is only an issue if you have difficulty turning the hub etc. Normally if you had it hanging up you would go to the adjuster at the front of the cables right behind the parking brake lever... but again if you have the cables off the shoe lever anyway, this should be a non issue. At that point they should be their typical looseness, slight contact but no resistance.