Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Montero sport mitsubishi: rich im working on a 2002 montero

Customer Question

Hi rich im working on a 2002 montero sport v6 3.0. I replaced the timing belt and the timing marks are all lined up but when I try to turn it over it does not go back to where it started. Also I can turn the harmonic balancer and cam shafts. The right cam shaft timing mark does not land on its mark when turned so I have to hold it there when putting the timing belt on. The ledt will stay on its mark.
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe its not getting compression? Why does the cam shafts and harmonic balancer not return back to their marks when turned over.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I first put everything back together it ran for about 5 seconds then cut off. The timing belt was loose and jumped. I made sure everything was perfectly lined up and replaced the belt. But now when I try to turn it over it just spins. Everything turns but it doesnt start.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
If the belt has been out of time you need to compression test the engine. This is an interference engine and if the belt slips out of time it will bend valves. Before doing anything else, set the belt correctly making sure the tension is right so it does not slip after two revolutions, then run a compression test and make sure you do not have low/no compression on any cylinders.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the valves are bent what needs to happen.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
If the valves are bent they will require replacement at minimum. This will involve removing the cylinder heads and sending them to a machine shop to inspect the guides for damage, replace as needed, and replace any bent valves.
This is a worst case scenario, but given the order of events with the timing belt replacement, it not coming back into time when rotating, then the no start condition, you need to do the compression test first if you're marks are lined up and there is nothing obvious being overlooked (crank sensor not plugged in, etc).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im taking it to get a compression test monday. Ill let you know what happens.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.