Mike V.
Mike V., Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models. Nissan and Subaru factory trained.
2921078

Mitsubishi Outlander: I have a 2003 outlander I lost the rear

Customer Question

I have a 2003 outlander I lost the rear driverside parking/running light I have power at the box, fuses are good
my Daughter hit a large amount of water on the road when this happen she said the horn was going off when she turned on the lights the car dried out no more horn going off it works fine but no rear driverside running/parking light
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also the remote when locking the car the horn used to beep to let you know the car lock but now that doesn't work also
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Do you have a test light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, first I would like to have you check fuse #21 and make sure it's actually getting power. This should be the fuse and relay box under the hood. You have to check it with the lights on. If it has power, then please go back the rear of the car and check for any power on the green/orange stripped wire at the tail light. I assume there isn't any power there, but I would like to be 100% on that.Please do these checks and let me know.Thanks so much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already did power at the fuse and no power at the taillight and my wire is green with white stripe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already did power at the fuse and no power at the taillight and I wire is green with white stripe
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
My wiring diagram is showing green/orange on the driver side and green/white on the passenger. Please double check your colors on the driver side. I am not saying there isn't a green/white back there, but according to the wiring diagram it's not the tail light color. Please let me know.Also please let me know if the license plate light is working or not.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is green and white both the driver side and passenger side are green and white with a black
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are there any relays that would have been affected that would affect this problem
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
You saying there isn't any green/orange wire for you to test on the driver side rear light on this car?I mean it's possible the wiring diagram is incorrect and not that uncommon for a mits to have wrong info in the service manual.That being said, if the fuse is good and the plate light is working, then you have a bad connection between the tail light socket and the wire after it splits off to the license plate light. If the plate light is not working, then I would locate the wire up under the hood where it comes out of the fuse box on #21 and see if there is power there on the wire, then sorry to say all you can do is probe the wire until you find the break. According to the wiring diagram this wire is running straight to the back of the car.There is a tail light relay, however it's not specific to a single side. When you turn on the lights the tail light relay comes on and powers left and right fuses under the hood. #20 and #21 so it's working properly since you have power there.I have to step out for a bit, but will be back. Please let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found that the plate light doesn't work either and no sign of power to that
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then I would start at the fuse box and work backwards toward the end of the truck. It's very odd that it would happen like this due to water, also, if the truck has a trailer hitch on it with wiring, I would try disconnecting that as well, then proceed with trying to find the break. Its important to know that the fuse is supplying the power out of the box.