Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi v6 petrol: how do i fix a hesitation problem after

Customer Question

how do i fix a hesitation problem after a battery change on pajero v6 2002 model.
positon of petrol filter
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Before getting involved in the filter, was the vehicle not having any hesitation before the battery change (as this would make the filter not likely to be bad if it worked fine before)?
Have you inspect the inside of the throttle body for build up (common to cause hesitation after the battery is unhooked)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i cleaned it
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
What is the idle speed when warmed up?
What happens to the idle when you turn the AC on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it idles at 12 and rises to about 14 and the exhaust pipe will be shaking together with the car,the exhaust fumes coming out like small bursts
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks... that certainly isn't anything that should be going on after a battery replacement typically, and the filter is not likely to cause that behavior either (it would be low idle if anything).
Was there anything else done at the same general time as the battery replacement that might be relative here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some pajero owners informed me that the car needs ECU reset since the car battery went dead and stayed for two days before i bought a12 volts 75 amp battery which is currentiy on the car and i dont know if its the correct battery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also dont know the ECU reset procedure
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
The only reset done on this vehicle with regard to engine operation is to unhook the battery and touch the cables together to discharge the capacitors. If it sat for two days without a battery hooked up, this happened automatically anyway though.
It does need to learn its idle again, however if you cleaned the throttle thoroughly then this is already done as well.
How long have to let it try to idle or driven it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have driven it for one week.for how long will i touch the cables for a reset on the ECU
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Only about 5 seconds to reset it.
Having driven for a week it should have adapted by now anyway.
Considering you have already done a throttle cleaning, can we also double check around the throttle body to make sure no hoses got knocked off or nothing got hooked up backward etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the exahaust its emmiting in short bursts like a drum beat ,dudu dudu
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Well that is why I was curious if you had done anything else at the same time. That sort of behavior along with the idle etc are typical of having the wires installed wrong, or a belt jumped etc. Nothing battery related should cause behavior like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i never touched any wires i onlny changed the battery
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that is just plain weird.
Lets unhook that battery and touch the leads together for at least 5 seconds or so. Lets also go in and double check our throttle body is spotless inside just in case.
If all looks OK and there is no change, we have to consider... as unlikely as it may be... that something just happened to go wrong during the battery swap.
In that instance, I would like to get a voltage reading across the battery with the engine running and a fuel pressure reading.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks i wil try that then i will inform you the result
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the battery amperage is it correct. I fitted a 12 volt 75 amps
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
75A is not a rating you would use for judgment on that. It might be a group 75?
Either way, you would want something in the 520CCA or higher rating to be proper.