Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Galant ES: 99 gallant es 2.4l,,,cranks but no start,has

Customer Question

99 gallant es 2.4l,,,cranks but no start,has spark,crank sensor replaced-new sensor pulses as should, bought and replaced fuel pump, same symptom with new pump, put old pump back in module, still no start,,,,,history on car 192,000 miles, original pump,,,,,symptoms before having issues were last 5 miles of trip late one evening, noticed rpms surging up 100 to 300 rpms, got home,shut off car, came out the next afternoon and it fired got to 1200 rpms idle (normal for this car when cold), then immediately shut down, any ideas?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Can you keep the engine running if you spray starting fluid into the intake (or similar)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't try that yet, if it runs for a brief time on starting fluid it could be the fuel pump, problem is I want to make sure its not wiring problems going to the pump module, I don't have 350 dollars to put a fuel module in it and that no being the problem. Tested the new and old pump directly off of battery in a bucket of water and flow was about the same, repeated same test with both pumps while in module and it still had about the same stream of fuel. That's why I reinstalled old pump back into original module. Don't worry about water in system, I purged pump and module and blew out with air before putting back into tank. I did notice that there was more 'filter media' in module that is not serviceable. Thinking that might be plugged. Also, while cranking with new pump in module and module in tank, noticed fuel pump lugging down bad while cranking. That why I'd like to make sure there isn't a bad voltage drop in the wiring harness going to the module.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Definitely understandable putting the old back in.
My concern with the starting fluid/other is that if we can improve the condition that way at least we would know for certain it is a fuel related issue... be it pump pressure/filter blockage, bad regulator on the rail, bad injectors, etc.
Is it possible to get a fuel pressure reading? I know it is a bugger getting the proper adapter for this car.
If not, then if you use clamping pliers on the fuel return line (the large hose coming off the regulator on the fuel rail) does the condition improve?