Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi eclipse: If I disable the anti theft on my 2001

Customer Question

If I disable the anti theft on my 2001 mitsubishi eclipse, will it start since i have a code on it?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring to the code the radio asks for? If so this is not related to the engine operation at all.
Were the keys reprogrammed after the ECM was replaced (The key data is stored in the ECM, so when you change it the keys no longer work)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
key was recoded
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. So what is your question then, with regard to anti theft code? There are three codes to the vehicle, a radio code an immobilizer over ride code (does not work if ECMs are not original) and a key program code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took this car to the dealership and their mechanic said that they recoded the key and after his diagnostic, both my coil packs were bad and needed plugs and wires. I put new coil, plugs and wires. still no spark
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
I take it this was the same behavior with the old ECM?
Do you have injector pulse while cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so the dealership said anyway
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
If the injector pulse is present, then the anti theft is not in play.... it disables the injector pulse first, then after enough tries the spark too. If you have injector pulse, then the anti theft is not active.
So to that end.... so we know if there is 12V at the ignition coils with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** go home and check for pulse and let you know tomorrow.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem, just reply back here with details on the injector pulse and the 12V constant (key on) at the coils and we will continue from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doug,
When you get a chance today. I have constant power to one of the wires going to the coil packs but no pulse at the other wire.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
And you did confirm you have a pulsing injector ground while cranking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. we got a ground wire and the second was hot but the third wire did not pulse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There r three wires going to the coil pack. one should pulse while cranking, one is a constant hot and the last is a ground. correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
call if u can. (###) ###-####
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Lets focus on one thing at a time.
Unplug an injector. Check for 12V on one wire. Check for pulsing ground while cranking on the other.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I havent had a chance to try that yet but if i get a pulsing ground , what next and if i dont, then what.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
If there is no pulsing ground either, then you will have either a bad crank sensor or the computer was not properly programmed to the key. If the key is not registered to the computer properly (either due to incorrect practice or problem with one of the ecus etc), the system will shut down both spark and injector pulse.
Likewise, if the crank sensor is failed, it is the origin timing for both injector pulse and spark, so without it both stop working.
If you DO have injector pulse but do not have spark pulse, given the four cylinder has the entire driver built in to the ecu, this would only leave you with a new bad ecu really, short of anything unusual like wiring damage etc.
Knowing that you have an anti theft fault of some sort in there too, I would wager you are not going to have injector pulse either and there is a problem with the key/programming... either a bad ecu, not programmed correctly, or an early paired ecu (where you have to keep it matched to the original immobilizer ecu or the keys won't program right).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again Doug. we'll see what happens
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, good luck!