George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Mitsubishi eclipse: I have a question I have a 2001

Customer Question

Hi I have a question I have a 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse 4 cylinder,I was driving back home when suddenly the engine just stop I pull over and try to restart the car but I can't it cranks but not start I bench test the gas pump but is good,I check for spark and don't get any I check for any codes with a pocket scanner but it say no link I'm afraid that could be the computer

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, Does the engine turn fast and it sounds "wheezy" when you crank the engine with the starter motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It sound like normal do but don't start of course the more I try the weak it gets for the discharge of the battery

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, what I am thinking is that the timing belt has broken and slipped and damaged the crankshaft position sensor which shuts down spark and the fuel pump. Without spark the first thing I would do is pull the timing cover and verify timing marks and that the small balance belt is still intact then check the output from the crank position sensor to the computer. How can I help you with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can I check the output from the crank position sensor and where is located?

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
The crank position sensor is located next to the crankshaft behind the timing belt.
Do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I do

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Good find the connector for the sensor near the valve cover and unplug it, with the key on find the two wires that have 12 volts between them. The third wire you need to slip a staight pin along the wire to make contact inside the connector then plug it back in. As you turn the engine clockwise by hand using the crankshaft center bolt you should see the meter change from 0 - 5 - 0 - 5 - 0 and back to 5 voltas again asyou turn. If you do not then check that the harness is not being cut on the heat shield and then you need to remove the covers to inspect for damage. Let me know how I can help Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I soon I get out from work I would do that and I let you know the result

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you do have crank signal then we can move elsewhere but that is the first check.
Let me know what you find
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK take me a while to check it but I decide to buy a new crankshaft position sensor and I check all the fuses and still nothing

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have crank signal? Did you check?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just checked and I just have 0.13 not even 1 volt and now 0 no I don't have signal that was using the old sensor

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If you have power and ground to the sensor it should toggle 5 volts to 0 and back to 5 when you pass metal through the jaws of the sensor.
Did you replace the sensor on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I replaced it but to don't take everything apart again I just unplug thenew and put the old one back and is 3 wires black red and blue

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Check both of them. If you have power and ground (you do??) then is it possible that you installed the sensor backward so the shutter wheel is passing the back of the sensor rather than through the jaws?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The blue/black and blue and red read 0.13 that's all

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
You should have a red, black and a green? The red to black should have 12 volts with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes those are the ones on the plug it connects with the sensor I checked and reads 0

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Then we need to help you get power to the sensor. Have you checked the fuses to see that you do not have one blown?
Might be the same reason you don't have a link for the code reader.
The MFI relay supplies power to the sensors
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/relayc.pdf
copy and paste that link into a new browser tab and let me know if you have 12 volts at 2 of the MFI relay pin sockets with the key on.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can I check if is the relay or just have to replace it to make sure

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Find out if you have power to it before we move on, the relay provides power to the sensor and you don't have any so I need to know if it a control issue or a power supply issue.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How i can I know if I have power on the relay

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
You have a meter to measure the sensor signal and power to the sensor?
Use the same meter to measure the pin sockets for the relay and let me know if you have two that show 12 volts with the key on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay so I checked the pins for the MRI relay and it does have power going to it.

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, is the relay marked with 87, 30, 85 and 86 for the pins? Connect the 87 to the 30 with a paperclip then check at the crank position sensor connector to see if you have power to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pins on the relay are marked no, coil ,com , coil

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Use the two that are NOT coil. Let me know what happens Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope still no power

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, so you are checking the red wire at the three pin sensor connector right? It is up near the valve cover and the harness runs down to the crank sensor from there? If you are then you have a break between the connector and the relay. Let me know what you see Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I check the whole wiring harness and I don't see any loose o broken wire

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If you have power at the paperclip then it is nothing but a wire from that point to the sensor connector. Do any of the other sensors have 12 volts on the red wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I also checked the camshaft connector and it didn't have power either and do you think it's the ECU? Because I already checked all the fuses and when I plug in the scanner it gives me " No Link" I'm thinking that could be the problem and actually I'm on my way to the junk yard right now

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
At this point the ECU is out of the picture. The paperclip is taking the place of the relay and many circuits are fed from the MFI relay so checking all of them might give you an idea of why you have power to one end of the wire but not to the other. Any damage to the fuse block? Does it look like it has been wet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it looks in good condition I been doing some research and I found something about the immobilizer unit the car I bought it 1 month ago and theguy just gave me a single key looks like a replica I wonder maybe the transponder chip is the problem

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
You still need to get power to the sensor. It is no module or chip if you have the paperclip bypassing the relay and it has 12 volts but nothing at any of the red wire sensor connections.
Let me know if you have made that test, if you really don't have power to the red wire you need to answer my questions above.
"Any damage to the fuse block? Does it look like it has been wet?"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it looks OK

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you have 12 volts at the paperclip but not to the sensors remove the fuse block and see if the 12 volts makes it out on the red wire there.
If it does the break is further down the line.
Let me know what you measure
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK everything you told me and I don't see anything wrong I replace all fuses even I try to program a new key with a qualified locksmith he try twice with his special equipment and can't program the keys it say is no link to the computer the same result I have with my scanner so I guess is time to take it to the dealership.

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
I think you are jumping the gun trying to have a locksmith get past the broken wire, you must have the power at the places I described above before you can look at the computers.
Can you get power to the sensors with the key on? You have 12 volts at one end but not at the other end of the wire there must be a break between the points.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand that I hope you understand my frustration on almost throw the towel cuz I don't understand why I don't have link to the computer

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, you don't have a link to the computer for the same reason you don't have power to the sensor, if you fix one you might fix both.
Systematically you have to see that you have 12 volts at the fuse block, check that it comes out of the fuse block on the red wire, follow the red wire through two splices and on to the sensor.
That is where the problem is. At this point you do not replace anything until you can get the 12 volts to where it needs to be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay so I checked all the wiring harness that was going from where you told me and the wires from the sensor to the fuse box look good no ripped wires but I found some wires that where connected with each other and where just covered with tape. I found 3 black and red wires. One of them goes to the spark plug block and so does another one. The other black and red wire goes tosa sensor that is right on top of the fuel rail. I don't know what sensor is that. I also found another pair of black wires that were also attached to each other. I'mg guessing those are ground wires but I'm not sure. I followed one of them and one goes to a ground bolt on the engine. The other 4 go a different way. What should I do?

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If the splices look good apply power to one end of the wire with a paperclip bypassing the relay and measure to see where the 12 volts you see at the paperclip does not get to the crank sensor connector.
Remember that when you didn't see 12 volts at the crank connector we needed to go upstream to find the cause.
Let me know what you find
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't get 12 bolts still

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
So you have 12 volts at the fuse? Have you checked to see if it comes out the back of the fuse block on the red wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay so I got 10 bolts instead of 12. I finally got a code with the scanner and it was PO1610

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
The scanner is of no help yet. Do you have 10 volts to the red wire at the crank sensor? If you do perform the test I outlined above. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I now have 10 bolts at the red wire

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
so can you check to see if the signal changes 5 - 0 - 5 volts etc as you turn the engine by hand?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay I checked and I DONT get that

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, for some reason the system is not notifying me of your replies. I am very sorry for the delay.
If you have no crank signal and you have power and ground to the sensor you need to open it up and inspect the sensor for cracks.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The sensor is brand new

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
New does not mean it works?
When you have it in your hand and can put 12 volts and ground to the sensor, pass the shutter wheel through the jaws of the sensor and see it show 5 volts and back to 0 volts and do it again then you can have confidence the sensor is not the problem.
If you are sure you are checking at the correct connector for the crank position sensor and you have 12 volts from the red wire to the black wire (you said you have 10 volts and that is suspect) and you are not getting the 5 - 0 - 5 etc as you turn the crankshaft by hand using the crank bolt then you need to inspect the sensor.
Maybe the harness was cut by the timing belt, if it is not routed properly that will happen.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you