Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS: I have a 2003 Mits spider. Blows

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Mits spider. Blows a fuse and quits running.
Fuse is under hood compartment second one back from front of car. Red and white wire ...What does that go to?
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Is this a 20a fuse that is blowing?
When it blows, does the Service Engine soon light stop working until the fuse is replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not in the car when it quit the last time.
I had a jumper wire with a 30 amp relay in series to keep from blowing fuses all the time and it melted the wire to the relay.
Now it blows fuses as soon as you put one in and of course it does not start.
I need to know where that red and white wire goes and what circuit I am dealing with..
I thought this service you provide would be the fastest way to get to the problem
help please
norm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
If it is the one I think it is, it feeds 80% of the electronics under the hood.
There are two areas that are extremely common to cause this problem. Directly off the fuel injector harness where it goes down toward the water neck on four cylinder models (only), and on the section of harness that stretches across the top of the transmission between the battery and the water neck (both engine types).
The latter is the most common, as the harness chaffs against the water neck and transmission aluminum and rubs through. It will NOT look obvious... if you pull the harness up it will be nice and clean and sealed up in conduit etc. This doesn't mean it is good. If you open it up that is when you find the damage.
I am attaching below a photo of one I had recently where you will see the red/white and solid red wires pierced and shorted well inside the conduit (mirror is used to see the bottom of the wiring).
If you can confirm this is the case, bandage the wiring and rig some sort of cushion to prevent it from contacting the metal any more.
If you are absolutely certain there is nothing going on there (and fuse still blows even when you shift the cable around), then and only then would I start unplugging electronic components under the hood one at a time until the short goes away, indicating the component/pigtail at fault.
For the most part though... when it is the red/white wire shorting and killing the engine, it is usually the wires pictured.

http://i.imgur.com/Eg4usa2.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Doug
I opened up the wiring harness from the injector wiring back towards the battery and it's all good there.
The wire coming out of the fuse box goes down and out thru the fender. Does that come back into the engine compartment somewhere?
I opened the harness from the box to the fender well and it's all good there.
This is a 2.4L
The red and white wire at the thermostat housing area goes to a smaller harness back down and towards the front of car
Does your wiring diagram show the path of the red with a white stripe wire out of the bottom of the fuse box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to pull the fender? hope not smile...
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No, just inspect the area over the top of the transmission, below the battery area. There is a large harness going across there, that is the one in the photograph.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all looks good so far - the large harness has all good wiring. Is that red and white wire the same as the one that goes out the fender?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
What is the significance of going out the fender? Do you have something there that is relevant to the situation (damage in the fender area etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is where the red and white wire goes to when it leaves the fuse box.. I looked but did not see any obvious problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just opened the other smaller wiring harness that is at the transmission area and that is the harness that has the red and white wire going thru it. but it is good as well up to the large harness coming across the front of the car to the fender area. I did not do anything there yet
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Please get me a photo of the wire you are looking at, and a photo indicating the fuse you are seeing fail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the email address? I took several pics - we can figure this out ...
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
It is easiest to upload to a free site like imgur.com and post the links here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having trouble getting the pic from the phone to the computer. Working on it.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can we get going again tomorrow ? I am getting ready to kick back .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try a different camera set up tomorrow. My fancy cell phone is not working for me. I don't know who to change things....
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem, just reply back here tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK THANKS A LOT
NORM
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot this was Sunday
I have been doing my Sunday things and no work on the car much
I did trace the wire under the fender and it goes into the interior at the drivers side about ankle high and that is where I Stopped. I need to find out where that wire goes and what parallel circuits are tied into it.
I will get back to you tomorrow and get started to finish this project up.
thanks
Norm
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hi Norm,
Whenever you can is fine, and try to get a couple shots of the wiring in question and fuse that is blowing so I can identify the circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the pictures taken and I even bought a program to copy the photo and paste here but it wont work after all that .
Is there no email address that we can use to make life easier. All I want to know is where that wire goes and what does it operate or control so I can go there and unhook it or see what is wrong. One little ole wire is kicking butt.
let me know
nrom
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
You can email them to***@******.*** and include a link to this page and it will get posted on your behalf. Just be aware it can take hours to even a day for it to work its way through the system. The fastest route is to upload them to imgur.com and post a link here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to upload to imgur.com ...
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
If you have the pictures on your computer, just go to http://imgur.com/, click on the Upload Images button on the top and the uploader will fill up the screen. Click on Browse your Computer and a window will pop up where you can select pictures off your computer. Once you have selected all the pictures you want, slick Start Upload and it will upload the pictures.
Then just copy the link to the page from your address bar and post it here and I can see them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give it a try..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will follow your instructions you just typed. Did you leave anything out... smile..
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Nope that should do it.... load the imgur site, click upload, click browse computer, select your photos, then click start upload and wait for pictures to upload. When they are done, paste a link to the page here for me to view.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it trying now...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://imgur.com/6LOOxpm,yWTylWJ,01L8dFz,tu2p8hcHope that works for the 4 pics I sent
let me know
norm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to see where those pics are posted, did you find them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked on this link and it worked to see one pic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see them ,,,, # ***** is a duplicate
If you need more, let me know , I have a bunch..
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Norm, that worked.
The fuse that is blowing is not the blue one on the end, right? Its the next one over or two over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right the blue on is the end one #1st the next on in the row is the bad guy. When you turn the box upside down you will see a heavier red wire with a white stripe on it . When you follow the wire it goes out the fender well and then back to the car going inside the car and that is where I stopped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is the number 2 straight back towards the firewall next to the blue # ***** where the hole is from the missing fuse.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hmm.... the next spot after the blue one on the end is supposed to be vacant. It should be 15-blank-15-20-10-15-blank-7.5-10-20-15
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first one "blue" then the next one is the one
There is a wire there and there was a fuse there when all the trouble started.
Could the red wire have been somewhere else and the guy before me changed something ?
When the fuse blew the car stopped running
I put a fuse in and it ran a short time until the fuse blew again
I put a relay in the place of the fuse and the wire melted and the car stopped running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are seeing there are two rows of fuses. one goes east west and the other goes north south as far as looking at the alignment of the fuses.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Yeah there shouldn't have even been a fuse there, between those two blue fuses.
This is definitely a 2003 Spyder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Definitely a spyder convert GS 2003 2.4L
there are 11 fuses in that row
the missing on is # ***** th one back
the rest had fuses in the holes
the wire has no opening to put it into and it has a fuse receiving end on it.
it is part of the original harness that comes in there
I will gladly move the fuse anywhere you want me to to make this thing run.
The reason the guy sold it to me is it didn't run
I put a fuse in it for him and it ran for a minute or two and then blew the fuse so he sold the car to me
because it was his daughter's car and he didn't want to mess with it and it was in his drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spyder Eclipse gs
will get the vin #
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin # *****
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that is an 03 alright. You should not have any fuse in that spot at all.
Are you sure there isn't another fuse blowing and you might have gotten one placed in that location in error? Because again there isn't supposed to be a fuse there at all.
http://i.imgur.com/7sIj6mk.png
http://i.imgur.com/oFebSi2.png
http://i.imgur.com/4bcbrXs.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am absolutely positive !!!!!
Back in the day 70's 80's 90's I was a ASE Certified Instructor
I am out of shape and out of date now but still have the basics in place
That and two dollars will get you a cup of coffee but yes I am sure.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hehe, no problem.
Well that puts us in an awkward situation... because if the fuse -was- there before, it wasn't supposed to be. And if the vehicle was running relying on that fuse, that means someone modified the wiring pretty heavily which will get us out of any area where I would be able to identify what is going where, since it is working on wires that aren't supposed to be where they are.
Any chance you can follow that wire further and get to a connector of some sort, that might help me identify where it goes/is supposed to go (this might take considerable work though, as I would have to go page by page through the wiring diagrams).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wiring and fuse paneling was a virgin when I startad
It was owned by a girl that knows nothing about a car
Her dad knows even less about a car
If it was changed , it was done at the factory .
I tried looking at wiring diagrams before and it showed a completely different fuse box as to what is on the car so I quickly gave up because I just wanted to pay someone to jump start this adventure. I have a bad hip and am now 72 years old so I hate to go under the dash of this foreign car and stand on my head for a few hours but upon your request, I will proceed to get started . I think later you will find that there really is a wiring set up like this out there somewhere but who am I .
The last 15 years of being in my own business , I hired this mechanical work done so I didn't have to do it. I had several shops with over 100 mechanics and tow truck drivers doing my work but that was then and now here we are .
Unfortunatly I opened up a full service RV Dealership and lost everything plus in 2008 2009. Lost it all and now very little money to survive. Therefor , I will suck it up and go to work be back later Still think there is a diagram out there... smile.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK then.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Yeah unfortunately I can only go by what all the documentation shows. I attached the wiring diagram and fuse diagrams for this position in the previous post.
2004-2005 are the same set up, 2001 is a completely different fuse panel (shape and all so we know that isn't it). 2002 has the same configuration as 2003+ but with a different numbering system and the location still not used.
I was hoping maybe someone had replaced the harness in the past and we would find the layout you have in a different year, but no such luck.
Out of curiosity, is there a fuse amperage and illustration indicated in that location on the underside of the fuse box cover?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Also, can you pull the yellow 20A fuse that is two fuses away from that one and see if it is intact? If it is, turn the key on and see if there is voltage there with the key on (this is the fuse that normally runs the power to the red and red/white wiring, including the red wire that runs in to the interior).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doug
I will begin working on the car tomorrow for a few hours, I work and then I suffer and pay the price then I rest up and go again. There is not a paper or instructions under the fuse box lid . the 20 A fuse is good. I will check all voltages tomorrow. there is a bar for one side of all fuses that is hot in that row of fuses. I will re visit all fuses and get more tomorrow . The one red and white wire in that row is a smaller wire with white dashes or dots on it.
thanks for your help so far we will win this battle soon.
norm
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all.
The fuse box lid originally had a printing on the plastic underside itself, it may have worn off by now though.
Let me know when you are able if you have voltage on that 20A.
Then if it does lets follow that red wire that you found coming off the questionable socket to the next connector/junction so I can try to figure out what that wire is and where it is supposed to go.
No rush Norm, we can do things at your pace... if you get reminder emails (Even if they appear from me), you can disregard them until you are ready... they are automated emails.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great ... thanks a lot
we will win this battle.
norm
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem.