Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi 2005: The timing on my , lance wagon is of how do

Customer Question

The timing on my , lance wagon is of how do I set it back
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. What engine is in your Lancer?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
If the timing belt strips in this model you will have internal damage to the engine that needs to be evaluated prior to doing anything with the belt.
To check for damage you will need to get it to a shop and have them remove the valve cover and rocker shafts to examine the valve train above, then if nothing is obvious they will use a leak down tester to check your compression pressure while the valves are (supposed to be) shut from the rockers being removed. If there is anything more than 10% leak down, the head needs to come off for repairs.
Realistically... these engines have about a 1% chance of survival when the belt strips, but do the test above anyway as it only takes about 20 minutes as opposed to spending a few hours putting a belt on for no reason.