Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Eclipse GS: 2007 Eclipse GS automatic. Check engine

Customer Question

2007 Eclipse GS automatic. Check engine came on with flashing neutral light, no acceleration, limped home. Was not at a car wash and did not drive thru any puddles. (Description from daughter, car is not with me)
mike
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
The flashing N light is indicating a trouble code has been stored in the transmission controller.
Unfortunately there is no self-diagnosis on this model... is there any chance we can get our hands on a scan tool with transmission level access, or at the very least limp the car to an auto parts store so we can see what the engine side fault is? Usually they are vague compared to the transmission side faults ("transmission system" etc), but depending on the cause sometimes they can be more accurate and could be better than nothing regardless.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose that will be possible tomorrow (11:40 on here now). Is it an option to pull the battery cable to clear codes and see if it recurs?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
That is no problem, I'm east coast too (and leaving shortly as well). If you would like to regroup tomorrow we can do so, just post back here when you are ready and I will be notified, your question placed in my queue if I am not in when you post. No need to open a new question of course.
You can unhook the battery and it will clear both faults (the Service Engine Soon and the flashing N light), both are volatile memory and will reset after 2 seconds or so without power. If the problem is not a hard fault (like an electrical issue), the lights should stay out (until the problem happens again) and it should drive normally. If the problem is a hard fault (sensor or solenoid resistance, for example), the lights will reset nearly instantly.
The upside to trying this of course is that it may restore drivability. The down side is that you lose the fault codes so you can't find out what caused the issue until it happens again... and if it is an intermittent issue, it may not surface again for some time.