Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi demante: 2003 Mitsubishi does not start when it

Customer Question

2003 Mitsubishi does not start when it rains now want start and backfires. When it starts after the sun comes out and whatever is wet dries out. Need to have fixed and would like to know possible problem.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
When the problem occurs, have you been able to confirm if you have spark during the no start condition?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It engines turns but does not catch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Is there any indication of water entering the interior of the vehicle?
Is the vehicle currently not starting, and if so was there a recent rain event?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No water inside. However this problem with the car turning over but not starting have been going on off and on for moths.
we have had much rains recently. A few times even though rained it did start but most time it does not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
doug
you still there?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
And is it currently occurring? If yes, are we able to do some on-car inspections?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes but it is pouring raining right now
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
Are you able to get the vehicle under cover so we can look into the situation, check for spark, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not going to start because its raining. car is parked on street
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is a spark?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I mean to check to see if the spark plugs are working etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it is not the starter or the battery. Have new battery and alternator. Like I said this problem only occurs when it rains.
today upon trying to start backfiring
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my son on the way outside. what do you want him to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting on you please respond
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
It takes a few minutes to get your response, read it, and then reply. As well we use a queue system here and if you post multiple times it can cause longer delay due to the queue system.
What I would like to do is pull two of the plug wires and spark plugs and test for spark while cranking (install the plug back into the plug wire, then ground the body of the plug to the valve cover) to see if it is both consistent (equal intensity and frequent) and strong (blue).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not in a position to do what you requested. What I would like from you is your expertise of possible problems so I can be educated when I have ii towed.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all, I understand.
Since the problem is primarily weather related... occurring when it rains etc... my primary focus would be on the ignition system. I would speculate that there is likely a bad seal on the distributor cap causing condensation to build up inside perhaps, resulting weak spark or inconsistent spark. This will give you a no start condition and potential back firing etc.
This is the most likely thing to me... and where I would start looking (verifying spark condition, checking distributor cap condition, coil resistance inside the distributor etc).
If the spark was undeniably fine, then I would alternate to fuel inspections, specifically trying an alternate fuel source while the problem is occurring to see if it starts that way. This is usually something we only see with rusty fuel tanks (water gets in when it rains), however it rarely clears up fully after drying... that is more of an ignition related issue typically.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, good luck!