Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS: I have a 03 montero sport 3.0.

Customer Question

I have a 03 montero sport 3.0. The ac locked up and the crankshaft belt torn into the timing belt and broke the crank postioning sensor and pins to pulley and sensor plate it just spins the motor with no spark to coil packs. Replaced all the parts. But still spins with no spark and my obd2 wont read no interface connection still.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Please unplug the crank position sensor. Take a DC meter and check the pins of the crank sensor connector (harness side, not the sensor sire) with the key On.
What sort of voltage readings do you get?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

12 volts and ground reads good

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** 5V wire then?
If not.... when you turn the ignition on does the Service Engine Soon light do a bulb test or no?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes a steady 5. Removed pack plugs and connected sensor and rotated motor by hand reads 0.06 than 5 in intervals. The crank sensor is new and timing belt, and sprocket and trigger plate sensor all timing marks centered and rotated mutiple times to double check all cams and crank on marks.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** 5V when unplugged and pulsing when plugged in and turning... good.

Please unplug one of the ignition coils, do you have 12V on one pin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I read 12v and I do smell fuel when I try to start the motor. Just dont understand why my obd2 scanner wont read my ecu anymore eather.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Lets double check two fuses... in dash #8 and under hood #1, both 10A. Your fuse numbering may be different, so please use my chart below:
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just got thru checking all fuses. My phone and pad is about out of battery have to go home to plug in. Can we continue tomorrow.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely, just post back here when you are ready and you will be in my queue.

No need to reply to this tonight :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I pulled out two sparks plugs to see if they wer fouled up tested ok and clean looking.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Is the Service Engine Soon light doing a bulb test at key-on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The soon light just stays on steady not blinking

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Great, but no communication right? Have we tried a second scanner to make sure there isn't a compatibility issue with the scan tool being used?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im waiting for autozone to call me when ther loaner scanner arrives its being borrowed right now since yesterday. My son works there.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha... lets try that when we are able before making any hasty decisions. If there is no communication at all, and it isn't scan tool related, that puts you down to pretty much fuses which you already verified or an ecu issue/rodent damage to the wiring etc. Those aren't too likely compared to just a compatibility issue or fuse issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The scanner connected and reads a code p0403 everything else said ok. What would cause this issue im having when the belt broke off and spun inside the timing belt now causing a no start issue. I did replace the icu but still no start so I put the original back on.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** will not cause the no start issue in most cases. At worst it would cause the EGR to be open at rest (very difficult anyway), and that would not prevent the engine from starting with slight gas application.

So the timing belt actually broke/stripped out? If that is the case have you done a compression test on the engine yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the timing belt was ok but the ac compressor lock up and the alternator belt broke in went into the timing belt area and broke the spline pins on the crankshaft sprocket and the crankshaft positioning sensor. So I replaced all that including the sensor striking plate. The sprocket came with the splines. Than went to turn on the car a nothing happens. Removed plug number 6 turn on car spark plug ground to test. And a puff of white smoke came out of cylinder from removed plug il check compression on it.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
So the crank and cams never moved out of alignment, they are currently still lined up perfectly?

The puff is a good sign for compression, but check anyway.

Just to be clear, have we successfully checked all three coils for spark, and if so what were the results on each?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All the packs fire. So when the crankshaft pulley spline broke keeping from the sprocket from turning could the crankshaft broke because I dont have any compression at all its stayed at zero. But the cams are turning with the belts are line up perfectly.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** changes things then.

It definitely can do that....are you completely certain the belt was lined up when you took it off to replace the damaged gear? It sounds like it had slipped at some point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I spuned it about 8 times by hand still on marks going to pull another plug and check copression

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that's weird... it may have just slipped back into position, weird as that may be.

Either way, move on and test compression on the rest, and if they are all low or zero as well, double check your gauge on a known good vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok see what happens tomorrow

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I'll be here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I retort down to the timing belt yesterday had a friend that had an eye camera to check top dead center on no 1 piston and can look at lifters going up and down. Graber my other Guage and same thing no compression. What do you think about bent valves could that ac cure when the pulley spline pin broke.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

If there is no compression there is no compression. That is only going to occur across the board like that if either the timing belt is out of position or it "was" out of position at some point, bending the valves. Nothing else is going to cause a complete loss like that, so as long as that gauge is reading correctly, you are pulling the heads for valve replacement unfortunately.

Depending on what exactly happened when the AC locked up, it is certainly possible to have caused the belt to jump etc. And really there is nothing else to suspect there... if the engine is building no compression and it obviously was running OK prior to the AC lock up, one certainly caused the other there.
I would suspect the crank was spinning independently of the crank gear if the key was broke off, keeping the belt technically aligned based on the marks, but the crank shaft spinning freely on occasion behind the gear, causing the damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did not get a chance yet to pull the heads off yet been working at my regular job. Going to try to get to it tomorrow afternoon.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Finally got a chance to work on my car and took off the heads and sure enough all the intake valves were bent stuck open against the head keeping them from closing all the way. Sucks to be me.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Ah bummer, I am sorry to hear that Rick. We were pretty sure that was where it was going, but at least now you know for sure.