Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Lancer ES: Doug I bought my wife a used Lancer

Customer Question

Hi Doug I bought my wife a used Lancer 2006 wagon with a radio code already on it im stressing out on how to get this thing working for her? The serial number is ***** & the model number is *****
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the way the codes are handled is different in Australia versus North America and Europe... MMAU is much tighter with releasing codes and they are not generally allowed for release without proof of ownership. Because they track who provided codes in their system, it not only prevents outside employees from retrieving codes but also makes providing of codes from internal employees less appealing without ironclad proof of ownership, as the person who releases the code is held liable if the radio is reported stolen and the code has been released after that point.
Because of this... essentially you are going to have a real hard time getting a code without actually going to a dealership. Luckily most dealerships will not charge for this provided you have all of your information ready (so they don't have to touch the car). Just go to the parts counter usually (some dealers have the parts counter handle codes, others the service department... usually parts though) and provide them with your serial number, model number, and current registration showing your VIN. They can then provide you with a working unlock code.
You can try phoning some local dealers and seeing if they will provide it over the phone since you have the serial number and model number already... just be aware that most will usually NOT do this, again because of the implication if the radio was stolen. It is dumb, but it is the way it is. Hopefully as these coded radios are phased out they will lighten up on this behavior, but as of the last time I had requested a code about 8-9 months ago they would not provide it to me without showing up in person with registration.
Again this is something unique to Australia market... even on their website they will indicate your only option is to show up to a dealer with paperwork... whereas the rest of the world they offer more forgiving options.
And again, the upside is at least you have all of your documentation/serial number/etc so there is no need for them to touch the car, so no need to charge anything for the service. All they are doing is plugging your numbers into their computer and giving you the code that comes out after verifying your paperwork.