Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Doug, I have a 2004 mits eclipse Gt. Driving 70mph and N

Customer Question

Hi Doug, I have a 2004 mits eclipse Gt. Driving 70mph and N started flashing and the trans stopped pulling P0734 incorrect 4th gear ratio. I noticed that when i put the shifter in park it dosent lock in park.i reset trans code although it doesnt engage into any gear i select. it wont throw a code. Any suggestion other than replacement? thanks Richard
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
The situation does not look good as far as avoiding replacement.
When you place the shifter into Park, can you roll the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the car will roll regardless if shifter is placed in park. I've taken the shift cable off the park neutral safety switch. and placed the trans in park manually. i have placed the car on jack stands with the understanding that the trans will need to be removed. the trans has never slipped nor has it ever had hard shift patterens. its been serviced every 30000-40000mls with syntheic transfluids. Could the trans be repaired still assembled in car
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
With the car rolling in Park that is pretty solid for a major internal failure (planetary damage). There is one thing we can check that will determine if it can be fixed in car or not.
Remove the air filter box temporarily and access the top of the transmission. Plug the Park position switch back in , but now UNplug the valve body connector right next to it (that goes straight into the transmission case).
With the valve body unplugged and the Park position switch plugged in, start the car up and see if you have Reverse and third gear or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Doug. I will do that 1st thing tomorrow morning for i am heading out on my hour commute home... lol. Good evening
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem, just let me know what you find and I'll explain the implications.
I will be in mid morning tomorrow... just post here and I will be notified (do not "re list" the question or open a new question or I won't see it). Once you post here you'll be in my queue if I am not in yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem, i understand completely... look forward to addressing the situation and hopefully i can come away with a better knowledge in how AT wrks.. thanks again Doug, have a safe evening,,,,
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all. I'll be here when you are ready.