Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Lancer: I Doug my car just lost all power stopped

Customer Question

Hi I Doug my car just lost all power stopped dead suck a new battery dry 1998 lacer coupe ce
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
What exactly is happening when you try to start the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing no power at all no dash lights nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was driving the car she just stopped
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
I apologize for the delay, it can take a few minutes to get your response, read it and reply back etc.
Do you have a test light or meter? If so, can you check to see if any of the fuses in the fuse panel have power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is on charge will it work without the battery
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No, the battery would need to be in to make that inspection. You had mentioned before the battery was new... is that to say it was recently replaced prior to this occurring, or replaced after it occurred?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced beforehand
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
Lets get that battery charged up first and foremost then, as there could certainly be an issue there and any testing we do will require a charged battery anyway.
Once the battery has charged a sufficient amount lets get it in there and see if there is any change in the condition. This would include in the least seeing some power light up in the car, any signs of life you don't have currently.
Then if there is no change lets take that test light or meter and check for power in the fuse panel to see if the fuses are receiving power or if it is not reaching there (like due to a wiring failure or fusible link failure etc).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we put the battery in and the headlights came on as i didnt turn them off last night when it was towed home
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it the headlights were out before when the problem originally occurred?
When you turn the key on, do you get any even brief indication of power you didn't before? A dome light working, or a weak warning chime, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** headlights coming on was new right?
Do you have access to another vehicle you can either try swapping batteries or run jumper cables between?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the battery is OK we put it on the charge tested everything OK
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
If the battery is definitely OK, then please take the test light or meter and see if the fuses in the fuse panel are receiving power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing works thanks for your time
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I understand, some of these situations can be more difficult than others to handle in this format, and a electrician in person is the best way to go.
If the battery is definitely good then they should be able to identify where the power is being lost (via wiring, fusible link, or ignition switch etc) without too much trouble... making 100% sure that battery is good will likely be their first target though. Given that the engine was running when things shut down, it is most probable that the battery was depleted (due to charging system issue, for example).
Good luck!