Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Montero: I have a 1992 mitsubishi montero and the

Customer Question

I have a 1992 mitsubishi montero and the starter solinoid is not getting power. I have a service manual and it mentions a start inhibitor switch.
Where is this switch located please, and also where is the connector located (so I can check it with multimeter)?
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
There are two different types of inhibitors depending on if you have a manual or automatic transmission.
On automatics the inhibitor switch is located on the side of the transmission, it is also referred to as a Neutral Safety Switch or Park Position switch... all the same thing. It locks out the starter operation unless you are in Park or Neutral. If you have an automatic, an easy way to see if this is the problem is to try to start the truck in Neutral. If it starts, then you know that this is your issue. Replacement is straight forward... unplug, remove the cable then unbolt and swap.
On manual transmissions the inhibitor is located on the clutch pedal bracket, it is also referred to as a Clutch Safety Switch. This locks out the starter unless the clutch pedal is down.
There is also an easy way to tell if this is the problem... simply unplug the clutch switch and use a paper clip to short the two terminals on the harness together (simulating a closed clutch switch). If the truck now starts, the clutch switch is your issue. It just unplugs then unscrews from the clutch pedal bracket.
The manuals also have a dedicated Starter Relay not found on the automatics, it is located beneath the radio in the center of the dash... it rarely fails however.
It is also worth noting that ignition switches are super common to fail on these. If you find that by passing the inhibitor does not allow starting, check to see if you actually have the starter signal reaching the inhibitor... if you do not, this is a dead giveaway for a bad ignition switch.