Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

I have a 1993 Mitsubishi 3000gt. It had a dead battery.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1993 Mitsubishi 3000gt. It had a dead battery. When I connected jumper cables, the alarm started going off. The key would not stop it. Tried all doors plus ignition. Car will not start due to immobiliser. Then installed new battery hoping to reset everything. No luck. I really don't need alarm and just want my car to start. Please advise.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
There isn't any immobilizer on this model, just the built in alarm is all. Normally either the remote or using the key in the door should reset it though.
Do you have some sort of aftermarket alarm added to the vehicle?
If you unhook the negative battery terminal and insert the key in the ignition and turn it to On then reconnect the battery does it still go off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the car used. There is no remote, just a regular key. But there is an extra key or computer chip looking key that says immobiliser (quorum) on it. It plugs in to the right of steering coloum next to rear wiper switch. The last owner told me I needed that key to be in to start the car. I always just left it in (for years).
I tried to unhook neg terminal and insert key to on position. When I hook battery back up, the alarm goes off immediately.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
It sounds like you have a third party alarm on there then... there is no factory immobilizer from Mitsubishi until 2000.
When you say the alarm goes off, is it the horn honking and lights flashing, or is there an actual alarm siren going off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The parking lights are flashing. The dash board is lighting up. I don't hear the regular horn. There is a separate siren located under hood, passenger side near air filter. It makes some sort of annoying sounds.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
In that case the alarm is also aftermarket (Mitsubishi does not use any sirens, only regular horns for alarms).
Unfortunately this is going to put things far outside of my area of expertise as I only deal with factory configuration diagnosis.
I am going to forward this to the general car electronics section and opt out so that someone with more experience with aftermarket alarms and immobilizers can better help you.
Please do not reply to this post as it will re-lock me to the question. Hopefully someone will be with you soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually took that siren apart because it was so loud. There is a computer board in there. I guess to cycle though the 'music'. Then I thought I should put it back together minus the noise amplifing piece.
Expert:  Dimmu replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Do you know what model alarm system it is or at least which brand? Did it come pre-installed?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy,
I am not the original owner, but I have owned it for 14 years. Not sure if it came pre-installed. On the separate computer chip looking key (about inch and half long tall by inch long), it says "Immobiliser" and "Quorum" under that. The key fits in a slot near the ignition.
Expert:  Dimmu replied 1 year ago.
.
I apologize but I will need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.