Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS: I have a 2003 eclipse gts and the TCC

Customer Question

I have a 2003 eclipse gts and the TCC light and abs light were blinking on and off for awhile. They eventually stayed on and when they flashed the tach dipped about 250 rpm but I didn't detect any change in actual rpm or feel any braking activity. The roads are wet but not slick.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Much like the service engine soon light, the ABS/TCL related lights can be turned on by numerous different problems and it is relatively impossible to determine what is at fault without a computer scan to see what is going on.
Based on your description with the lights blinking on/off for a while, you are probably headed the right direction with your thoughts about the slipping and the road being wet, but for different reasons. I would expect if you weren't feeling any slipping from the road that the ecu probably thought there was due to another failure... like a wheel speed sensor that was reading incorrectly. If one of the wheel speed sensors is having a problem (As is common, they have extremely delicate wires attached to them that are known to fracture internally), it will result in the TCL light flashing intermittently then finally lighting solid when the signal stops entirely.
Before doing anything else, get the vehicle to a shop that has a Mitsubishi ABS compatible scan tool to see what exact faults are set. With a few dozen possibilities, your symptoms/scenario are not precise enough to say 100% what the issue is, even though the speed sensors seem most probable (And of course even at that there would be no way of knowing which of the four would be at fault without scanning the system).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick reply. We reseated the fuses in the engine room fuse box and so far haven't had any trouble. I will have the car scanned when we get back in town. Would the speed sensor cause the tach but not the engine to fluctuate?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
The wheel speed sensors would not be involved in the tach operation, however if you did correct the issue with the loose fuse, it is entirely possible that the fuse could have been affecting both the ABS ecu operation and the instrument cluster.