Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi galant 2004: dome light on my Galant 2004 does not

Customer Question

dome light on my Galant 2004 does not switch off
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Is your door ajar light in the instrument cluster staying lit too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Doug

YES. When I push that little button the door ajar light and the dome lights shuts off. When I slam the door shut, it goes off for a quick moment but comes back on. How ca I fix it? If I need to take it to a professional, are there any way I can temporarily fix it for a few days so my daughter can still take the care to school? ?Fuses.....tape.....?? For now I have the battery. Last night I just disconnected the battery.

Thanks,

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hi Martin,

You have only two possible causes here since you can narrow it down to that door switch.
Either the door switch itself is bad, or the door is out of alignment.
And realistically... if there wasn't any reason for issue there (like an accident in the past etc), it is just the switch and you may be able to adjust it into normal operation, but replacement is the better option.

The door switch has a single philips screw holding it on then it pulls out of the frame to be unplugged. New door switches are a Mitsubishi dealer-only part (no one makes them in the aftermarket since there is no profit to be made there), and they are usually only a few dollars. They are typically special order though and not always kept on the shelf at all dealers.

If you want to try adjusting the problem out, you can loosen the bolts on the striker for the door and move the striker INboard. This causes the door to close tighter to the frame, and be more likely to keep the door switch compressed all the way.

If you are unable to easily adjust it into submission (for example you have to adjust the striker so far the door doesn't feel or look right), then you would want to replace the switch.

In the interim you can remove the switch (just tape up the connector) and it will prevent the light from coming on until it can be fixed.