Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Is it possible to create multiple electrical system interruptions

Customer Question

Is it possible to create multiple electrical system interruptions by trying to install an aftermarket amp?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Can you clarify what it is you are asking? For example what sort of electrical interruptions, what systems, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sporatic hesitation, stalling, srs system lights going on then off, batt light on then off!

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Oh wow, that sounds like fun!

Its definitely possible from those symptoms.... I know this sounds pretty basic, but have you tried unhooking the power supply to the amp from the battery and verifying things resolve to normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

amp was never connected to batt! on the + side! Altenator went and a new bat installed, but the symptoms are the same! prior to altenator and bat replacement! What causes such behavior? is it the CPU, PCM???????

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
So what is the relationship to the amplifier? What specifically was done with it when trying to install it?

With regard to the alternator and battery comments... did this happen before or after the event with the amplifier? Was an aftermarket alternator used (this is BIG trouble on certain models, like 00-05 Eclipse/Galant, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2004 Mitsubishi endeavor, someone tried to install an aftermarket amp, no power connections were made, i'm guessing just the audio side! At some point with in a week of trial install, symptoms started with stalling, loss of steering, the usual stall state for said vehicle is what? srs lights on, batt lights on, abs lights on? Then the altenator fried, and battery, im guessing due to an altenator overcharge. I'm hunting here! The batt and alternator were replaced but still have the stalling state happening! Im guessing it's the fuel pump/filter!

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

It is likely unrelated to the amplifier if you are sure no power connections were made (And whatever connections were made were done correctly). I would suspect the alternator was your primary issue and just may or may not be resolved yet.

Are you still seeing random SRS lights, battery lights, ABS lights?

Was the alternator aftermarket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and additionally, at times the vehicle also exhibits strage behavior when stalling, it will stay running but have no accelerator function or will just outright stall.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

As long as the charging is abnormal (as indicated by the battery light and ABS lights etc coming on), the throttle operation is going to be unpredictable as well.

Here is what I would do if it were in my shop.

1) Remove anything related to the amplifier that may still be hooked up. It probably is of no relation at all, but it is better safe to start with a clean slate there.
2) Go back and double check ALL of the fuses both inside the dash and under hood, and including the larger fusible links. Having had an alternator failure it is quite possible one or more fuses took a hit. While they may not affect your problems, it is always a good idea to verify after a failure like this as they usually do take a few fuses out.
3) Get a factory alternator on there. You can not use aftermarket alternators successfully on this model. This is one of those things that are not up for negotiation on these unfortunately, as the alternator is PCM controlled and the aftermarket alternators do not respond correctly to that configuration, resulting in weird charging abnormalities.

You should be OK once you get through those steps. If there are existing problems still (throttle malfunction etc) then they could be addressed separately, but before getting to that point you need to get the charging situation corrected as that will cause abnormalities in the rest of the vehicle making testing for other failures pointless.