Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

How do I remove the alarm. or how to unplug alarm. I don't

Customer Question

how do I remove the alarm. or how to unplug alarm. I don't want to ever hear alarm again.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
What type of vehicle is this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I just paid 18 bucks so you could ask me what kind of car it is, now the question is closed, that was an 18dollar mini azzfuking........ I got nothing. well, I got 18bucks less money now........
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vehicle was for a 2001 mitsubishi Montero Sport how to disconnect the alarm alltogether. not turn off, make it never alarm again,
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I don't know what you saw on your end, but the question is still open as far as I can see or I wouldn't be able to post.
I had to ask what type of vehicle as there are a LOT of different alarms on the different vehicles.
Do you know if your Sport has a standard keyless alarm or if it had an upgrade alarm? If you do not, I may be able to tell if you provide your VIN.
Also I am assuming of course there is no aftermarket system on here (just the factory rectangular remote, no remote that says "Code Alarm" or "Viper" etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no special extra aftermarket alarm, I will list the VIN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vin = JA4MT31H61P049903 2001 Mitsubishi ***** ALL FACTORY ALARM needs ripped out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car has a standard key fob ( lock, unlock and a red panic) button
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The standard alarm intermittantly goes off all hours of the night, I just want the thing off forever. The neighbors are angry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess you can't really reply directly here ( like a real CHAT ) . you send links to responses.......
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Right, this is a post-by-post type system similar to a internet forum. You can refresh the page or wait for the link indicating I have responded.
It looks like you just have the standard keyless alarm on there, which is good and bad... it is bad in respect that it can not be completely removed since it is integrated into your ETACS module (That controls your locks, turn signals, etc), but good in the respect that at least we know what we are dealing with and can probably circumvent the problem.
One important thing first though.... have you tried taking the batteries out of all of your keyless remotes to see if it still goes off? I ask because the particular remotes used on this era had a tendency to fail and cause random "panic" signals which of course sound just like the alarm going off. The reason this is relevant beyond the obvious, is that it is separate from the alarm... if we disable the alarm, the panic function still works and if the problem is the remotes, it would still be present.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I physically remove the battery from BOTH key fob's ( I have 2) will that make the alarm cease to function.... more or less ? alarm goes off every 2 hours or so & ultimately drains the car's battery dead
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
It will only resolve the issue if the problem is the remote sending a bad panic signal. Again I only mention it because it is super common. I would say if you haven't tried that yet we should just disable the alarm and if the problem maintains, -then- pull the batteries out to confirm the problem goes away (And then reinstall one battery at a time to determine which remote is at fault).
It may not go that direction at all... its just one of those things where if you work on these daily it becomes like second nature to try that first as you see it so much.
I'm going to need to go over to my office and get the paper manual on this vehicle as my online one doesn't have the information I need for disabling the alarm.
This will involve pulling the door panel off and doing some very minor wiring work if you are comfortable with that. I will be away from the computer for just a short bit while I grab that manual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no problem, I can remove any panels etc. re-wire, solder etc. If I take the battery out of both KEY FOB's then, I guess the door lock and unlock features will never work again ... of course. Th key FOB panic alert does not seem to be stuck.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience.
With the alarm bypass we will be doing your remote fobs will still work 100%. The only issue you will be presented with is if the alarm still goes off even when bypassed, we will know one of the fobs is causing the issue (again they fail this way sometimes). In that instance you would temporarily remove the batteries to figure out which is causing the problem so it can be replaced. Hopefully it is just an alarm issue and we never even have to go that far though.
What we need to do is remove the drivers door panel so we can access the key detection switch inside the door. This is the switch on the back of the lock cylinder whose sole purpose is to arm/disarm the alarm. What we will do it permanently ground the disarm wire, putting the computer in a constant state of disarming. This will -not- affect anything else on the car... your locks and keyless entry will all still work as designed, you simply will not have any alarm function apart from the panic button on the remotes.
First you will need to take the door panel off. There are two philips screws in the front edge of the door, two in the rear edge of the door, one in the release handle bezel and one in the door pull pocket. Remove all of these and take the door pull pocket and release bezel off. If you have the courtesy lighting on the bottom of the door, pop the lens off and remove the screw from it as well.
Then when you have all the screws removed, insert a flat screw driver or other prying device between the door panel and the frame and pop the panel loose (the remaining attachment is just plastic clips). Once popped loose you can lift the door panel off the door, unplugging the master switch and the tweeter speaker (if equipped).
With the door panel removed, look on the rear section of the door, pulling back the weather sheeting. You should see a three wire harness coming out from behind the door handle area, the wires will be colored Black/Red, Blue/Yellow, and Black.
The Black is the ground wire and Black/Red wire is the disarm wire.
You can either take a scotch lock and clamp it across the Black/Red wire and the Black wire, effectively grounding the disarm wire, or you can tap in to the Black/Red wire with a new wire and ground it directly.
Either way will send the constant disarm signal killing the alarm indefinitely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mean the drivers door ... right ? This will disarm the entire car- all hood switches, all door switches and the tailgate too ? after I scotch lock and clamp it across the Black/Red wire and the Black wire, could I test the FOB's by putting in battery and pressing panic ANd Nothing should happen. no panic, no alarm. right ? is that a decent test ?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Correct, the drivers door.
Doing this will prevent the alarm from ever arming.
It will NOT stop the panic function from working or the keyless function from working or anything else. Pressing the panic button will still make it activate (the reason for the discussion earlier about the fobs failing).
If you wanted to test it, do the following:
Close the doors but leave the window down on one door.
Use the remote to lock the doors.
Reach through the window and unlock the door then open it.
If the alarm is active, it will go off. If it is disabled properly, it will not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounds good, it will take me 20 or 30 min to get door carefully apart and then to cut and join the 2 wires you detailed. and then to test. Your advice is very good, ( sounds like you know what your ding) the web site is pretty weak, it needs an actual chat line.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounds good, it will take me 20 or 30 min to get door carefully apart and then to cut and join the 2 wires you detailed. and then to test. Your advice is very good, ( sounds like you know what your doing) the web site is pretty weak, it needs an actual chat line.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
We did have a chat once before, but it was more than a little flawed. We have a hybrid type chat they are testing now, but it isn't really that different than the current set up (compared to the old chat that was like a chatroom from years back).
Just let me know if you need more help.