Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi 3000GT Spyder SL: I have a 95 3000GT Spyder. Non

Customer Question

I have a 95 3000GT Spyder. Non turbo. Yesterday it just died? Battery is fine. Just Absolutely nothing when you try and start. Maybe starter fuse?? I'm stumped??
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car has been running great. Never seen a car just die like this unless the battery was dead. Battery shows a full charge.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Did it just not start when you went to go drive it, or was there an event that occurred while driving and it hasn't restarted since?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All was fine. Drove it around town that day and stopped and restarted a few times. Came home and parked in my garage. Went to leave a couple of hours later and nothing. Charged the battery fully overnight to be sure that was OK but again just dead when you try and turn it over.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
When you try to start the car do you hear any noise under the hood at all? Do you notice if the dome lights dim or radio cuts off briefly when the key is turned to Start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No noise at all.. No starter clicking whatsoever. When you have the key forward all accessories work perfectly and the gauge shows full battery power. Even AC blows super well and cold. Lights are all bright. However when you turn further to try and start all goes off until you release and they key moves back.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Things turning off when you get to Start is a good indication for the ignition switch anyway.
Is this a manual or automatic transmission? If automatic, is there any change in condition when placed in Neutral?
Do you have a test light or meter and are comfortable working on the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic so shift is totally locked. I work on it a bit but most of my cars are ''60s and '70s muscle cars, so this is pretty foreign to me. Don't have a meter unfortunately where I'm at.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
Can you elaborate on the shifter being locked? When you turn the key to On and have the brake pedal pressed, you can not remove the shifter out of Park?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I didn't explain properly. I did try to start in neutral and exact same result. Just silence and all accessories go dead until key moves back. Slight clicking sound after after you turn the key back further to remove. Likely just the AC going off I think.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Oh Okay.
Is there any way you can get your hands on a meter or a test light? We really need to check to see if there is trigger power reaching the starter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can but not till tomorrow. Maybe I can get a hold of you again? Just checked the ignition fuse and it shows no sign of burn. Reset it just in case and still same result.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
If you would like to regroup tomorrow we can. You just need to return to this page (you can bookmark it, or use the link here you should have received via email when I responded) and when you post I will be notified and if not at work yet you will be put in my queue.
You do NOT need to open a new question or "re list" this question; I won't see your post if you do those things.
When you get hold of a light or meter, what we want to do is unplug the small trigger/signal wire on the starter and check it for voltage while the key is in the Start position. This will tell us if we have a signal problem (the message to engage is not reaching the starter) or a power problem (something keeping the starter from operating), and we can narrow our approach considerably with that information.