Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Montero Sport: My stereo on my Mitsubishi shows

Customer Question

My stereo on my Mitsubishi shows off I already put the ignition to ON and was only able to get the serial number 89184505c how can I get this unlocked
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you know what is going on with the off message, but just in case:
To clear the "oFF" message you are going to need to leave the key on (or at ACC) and the radio on (so that "oFF" is displayed) for approximately one hour. At about an hour the display will go blank, at which point you can turn the radio back on and "codE" will be restored.

I'm going to pull your serial number for you right now and verify it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So put it back to ACC not ON?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Either one is sufficient... the radio just needs to be turned on (so that oFF is displayed), it can be turned on in either ACC or ON.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I have it on one of those, were you able to pull up the code
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Great..... I'm getting the code as we speak... it is running super slow tonight, I apologize for that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's okay thanks for helping me out
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, and thanks again for your patience.

For serial number 89184505c your unlock code will be

4460

I assume you are already familiar with code entry since it was locked, but just in case you aren't, you will push the following to enter the code:
Preset 1 five times
Preset 2 five times
Preset 3 seven times
Preset 4 one time

When finished and 4460 is displayed on the screen you will push the unlock button. The unlock button is different on every radio, but is always either PROG, CD, AMFM or TAPE. You can just push each one once if you don't know which is it and the radio will beep and turn on when pressed.

If you have any problems or need further help, just use the Reply option to respond to me again and I can help you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I disconnect the battery will that reset it instead of waiting a hour
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No... unfortunately you must wait the hour until it passes.

Unhooking the battery will do nothing (as it is a theft deterrent, and that would be no different than a thief taking the radio... it would have no power when they removed it). The radio has to sit with the "oFF" message for an hour before it clears.... sometimes you get lucky and it is a little fast (a few minutes) or a little slow, but in general it is one hour. If you touch the radio (pushing buttons, turning it off/on) before it is done, the timer resets and you have another hour to wait. The same thing goes for turning the key off/on again... the timer resets and you have to wait an hour again.

The rule of thumb is this: If the display still says "oFF", it isn't done, don't touch it.