Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Outlander: the ac was working and now the green

Customer Question

the ac was working and now the green light is blinking ,but then you push the botton and it stay green and it sounds that the compressue coms on and then in about 4 min the light starts blinking again
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
When the AC is working prior to the shut down (flashing light), is it cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was working on monday and this started on wensday
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
In the days/weeks leading up to this, did you notice any reduction in cool air before it finally started blinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no iy was blowning cold and fine
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Do we have access to any test equipment (ac gauges, test meter, etc)?
Is the vehicle present, regardless?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be a fuse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i do hvac and have everything to check it out. i all ready put gauges on it and it has a charge
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
What is the static charge on both sides?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my daughter has the car right now but will have it back in morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on my 134 guages suction 68, disch 153
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
around 42 temp liquid
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
I assume those are running pressures since they are fairly different. Those numbers are very low on the gauges... you would expect more like ~175-270 high side pressure (depending on outside temp etc) and your low side would start dipping down into the 40's or so when that happened.
Do you have a recovery machine that you can check the actual charge level/weight? It looks like you are low honestly... the alternative that would create pressures like that being not too desirable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what makes the light start to blink
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
low charge, fuses,comp,
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
The light blinks when the ac ecu sees a system problem... specifically charge level in 99% of cases.
If the pressure switch drops below or goes above a certain point, the compressor is shut down and the light flashes; if the evaporator thermistor goes below a certain point the compressor is shut down and the light flashes. That is really about it.
In unusual cases we have seen the ac ecu malfunction and just set the light flashing for no good reason, requiring ecu replacement (the ac control head). It is something I have seen only a hand full of times in nearly 10 years working on exclusively Mitsubishi though... it is far more often either a charge level problem or a thermistor problem (typically attributed to either the thermistor being damaged from recent work in the dash, or the evaporator being covered in gunk and causing it to freeze up. In either scenario you would have cold air before it flashed though).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and the pressures was lust putting the gauges on , to see if it had a charge, car was not running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will run the car with gauges on to see pressures and see if it is low and add.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Oh, that is pretty weird then.
Your gauges should always have equal static pressure (for example 70/70, 100/100 etc). The system is not physically divided between the two sides, not completely. For that reason they always equalize under normal conditions.
Did anything happen with the AC leading up to this, for example was any "top off" cans used in the past 12 months, or the system opened for other repairs etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, that i know of, we bought the car about 3 weeks ago for my daughter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the equal pressure , thats what i told her and that hit me funny also, so thats why i am asking
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
Lets do this.... when the vehicle is available (tomorrow?) lets recheck the static pressure. If it is still fluctuated like that and we are sure it isn't the gauges (perhaps check on another vehicle), then try rotating the compressor by hand (The clutch plate/nut, not the grooved part of the pulley) and see if the pressure changes (indicating maybe the compressor is just stuck in a certain position sealing really well).
If static looks better, then lets try running the AC and see what the pressures look like.
If the AC won't engage, do the following:
Start the engine and have the AC -off- and light in a non flashing state of course.
Under the hood take the cover off the narrow relay panel next to the fuse box and place your finger on the rear-most relay, closest to the windshield.
Have a helper turn the AC on and feel if the relay clicks or not a second or two later.
Those checks will give us a little bit more to work with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will do, thanks you , this was very helpful.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, we can leave this open until tomorrow if you prefer, and you can click back here to report (I will be in late tomorrow morning). Or if you are set for right now we can close up (and reopen later if necessary). Whatever suits you best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
reopen later if thats ok
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all. I will leave a rating box up to be used at your discretion and we can pick up as needed.
Please do allow me some time to respond in case you post while I am not at work or with another client. Do not open a new question or "re list" this question, as I will not be able to see your response if you do. Just post here and I will have you in my queue if I am not in yet.
No need to reply to this post until you are ready.