Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Galant ES: 2002 gallant battery ignition switch,

Customer Question

2002 gallant battery ignition switch, and starter are good but everytime I turn the key to start power goes out and I disconnect battery and wait a few minutes and power comes back but ,turn key to start and the problem repeats what else could be the problem
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
When you turn the key when does the power cut off: at ACC, ON or Start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
start
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
If you unhook the signal wire from the starter (the small wire that slides off), does the problem still occur?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I connect the OBDII there is no power received. However there is power to the instrument panel, radio, fan, and lights. In which at one point I turn on the fan and power went out.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, that is peculiar.
Looking in the under hood fuse panel, can you please inspect each of the large fusible links and the large link on the battery if still present? We want to check them for power and wiggle them a bit in case we have a hairline fracture passing slight power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I have already check fuses and all fusible links.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
How certain are you that the battery is good, was it actually tested (I know you mentioned it was replaced)? If so, what was the CCA reading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a new battery the old one was shorted.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
And we are certain that whatever damaged the old battery has not affected the new battery?
The concern here is that there is no single device that is going to cause power loss like this, you are pretty well reduced to battery, switch, or fusible links/connections.
Obviously if the battery is weak you would have this condition, and letting it rest will let the battery stabilize and return to previous condition. If the links have tiny fractures they will do this as well, and after they cool they make enough contact to power up the low amperage items again. Of course the ignition switch is self explanatory.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time I will double check these and get back to you.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.... I'll be leaving for the night shortly, but I am here every evening. Just post back when you are ready and I will get with you as soon as I am in.
No need to reply to this right now, I am required to post last for the night anyway.