Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner, 27 year Import technician
29331485

Mitsubishi: Doug, I am getting awful confused with this

Customer Question

Hi Doug, I am getting awful confused with this system... it seems everytime a mechanic comes in I have to deposit more money, I already posted my problems.. did yuo see them?
I purchased a 1990 Montero, base model, 3.0, it had a blown engine. I bought a Senata engine with 4000 miles on it. I then hired a mechanic to swap the engines out. He did all of that, but when started it ran rough, and it bogged down around 3000 RPM's. I was told it was wires, cap, injectors, TPS, so I changed all of that all new. Still same problem, then I met another mechanic that said it is the timing belt, which we changed during the engine swap, he said it missed a link or two. So fior the last two days we changed the timing belt again but when we set all the marks the number one cylinder was not TDC, it was about half way down. So I talked to a number of other mechanics and they said it does not matter, just line up all three marks and forget the number one cylinder, did that, and then today still same p
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

What year was the Hyundai Sonata engine .

Your original is a 6G72.

The Sonata is a G6-T

But basically the same engine as built by Mitsubishi .

The No. 1 piston must be at TDC and not half way down .

The No. 1 piston is the front passengers side

graphic

If the Number 1 was half way down then there is something wrong with the crank sprocket , remove and check that the woodruff key has not stripped .

If all is good and the Piston is at TDC i would recheck that the ignition is correctly fitted and adjusted .

Check this and then please get back to me if needed with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund, if you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know.

Kind regards Greg." If you are not satisfied please don't rate" poor or bad as this will not refund your deposit

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg,

When we lined up the marks on the cams and crank and they were spot on, the piston was not TDC, when the number one piston was TDC then the mark on the crank would be 90 degrees to the right.

The woodruff key is fine.

When you say recheck the ignition, are you saying that the ignition can be put in wrong? How many ways can it be put in? Please note I am not the mechanic I am the owner, this info will be passed to the mechanic, but I thought it can only go in one way?

By the way the Sonata was a 1990 engine..

Perhaps it is a different problem but working on this for over a month I think it is related to the timing belt... but getting number one piston up and all marks correct... tough bugger??? and strange..

How can I check the ignition?

Thanks..

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nic .

When the Timing belt is set up on its marks the No.1 must be At TDC .

On the diagram below look where the woodruff key is located .

graphic

The distributor can be put in many position ,the shaft and drive gear has to be lined up
with the marks and then installed , the rotor should then point towards the No. 1 plug wire .(which is marked on the distributor cap...)

Have a compression test done if the engine is good and the timing lined up correctly the compression reading should be all even with maybe 5% difference between them ..

Rgds Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will have the mechanic do this today and get back to you ion a few hours and let you know the results, hopefully good..

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nic .

Sounds good hope they find the problem.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Greg,

I did not want to tear out everything to set up all three marks, but I may have to, anyway I did take out number one cylinder plug and made sure it was tdc. I then looked at the rotor and it was not pointed to number one. We then set it up to point to number one and it would not even start. We played with it but no matter where we pointed it, it just did not run well, in fact the same way. So the next plan is to take off everything and try and set up the three marks TDC, make sure number one cylinder is on top, but last time we had cylinder on top the crank TDC was 90 degrees to the right, if we putt he crank back to TDC then the piston went down, not top. So do you advise me to place all three marks TDC and no matter where the piston lands, to check the distributor and see where it is, or the opposite, to make sure number one cylinder in on top, and no matter the crank position to then check it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Some more info for your perusal.. and it may help..

At this time everything imaginable that may be causing this problem has been gone over and or purchased, still the same problem, idles at around 1500 rpm and rough, and when you give it gas it goes to around 3000-3500 rpm and then bogs down, chokes...

if you give it gas slowly and a bit at a time you can reach 4000 RPM without much incidents, but I mean very slow. Albeit still sluggish and rough..

I just cleaned the MAF terminals.. and the linkage with the proper stuff..

I think you are correct it has something to do with the "Marks", the number one piston and the distributor, but I will be darned if I or about three other mechanics can figure it out..

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nic

You are checking that the No,1 Piston is at top ,(front right ) passengers side..

This is sure a timing issue .

When you strip it down and put it in time with the piston on TDC (check with a long screwdriver in the plug hole ) then take a photo and show me where the crank is positioned

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, will do that but if it is like the last time we tore it down, it will be 90 degrees to the right..of the mark, the crankshaft mark I mean, the cams are dead on.

I doubt I will get a chance to do it today, maybe, but tomorrow for sure and I will take a lot of pictures..

Thanks for your help..

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nic

Great can't wait to see this .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, seems the mechanic I had scheduled did not show up, scheduled another, same story... shame..

Anyway I thought I would replace the last thing that I think could have caused the problem, the MAF, just did that and it runs a bit better but still around 3000 RPM it bogs down big time... if you take it up a little at a time you can get it past 4000 rpm but bogs big time. It also sounds like a little miss in it, not much..

I guess I will have to tear this down myself, not to good at this stuff, but I saw it twice, think I can do it. First I will make positively certain the number one cylinder is tdc before I pull anything off, as promised I will take pics.. sory I am late..

And the "Check Engine" light is still on... wish I had a ODB I, cannot find anyone with one..

Cheers

Nic

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nic okay sounds good .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, we just pulled off everything and took the timing belt off, with TDC Number one cylinder on top, it shows the cams all on but the crank is 90 degres to the right. If we put all three marks dead on then the piston, number one, is not TDC, so the last time we put all of them on center, all marks lined up and the piston was not on top, it satrted up and ran but rough, now we are going to try it the opposite way, tdc 1 cylinder and the crank mark to the right 90 degrees, will let you know in a bit
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm okay ,
Better when you have TDC post me photos of the cam and crank positions ..
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Evening Greg, well, after buying a new TSP, new MAF, new Fuel pump, new wires, new Injectors, new distributor cap and down for four long miserable weeks, it was the timing belt, it now runs great. Sorry do not have pics, was so excited put it all back together and as I said, ran it around the town for a while. But for all future folks who have this problem.. here is exactly what I did.Number one piston TDC, cams right on the marks, and the crankshaft was 90 degrees to the right and it runs great. Why? I have no idea nor does a half dozen mechanics that worked on this? In fact the guy who helped me did not want to do it, so I said I will do it... and I did... why someone did not know the answer is way beyond my logic and reasoning...CheersNic