George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

OK, here is the story, bought a 1990 Montero 3.0, bl;own

Customer Question

OK, here is the story, bought a 1990 Montero 3.0, bl;own engine, bought a 1990 Sonata with 4000 verified miles on it, then had the mechanic change everything Montero to Sonata block. Once together it started up but ran rough, changed TPS, all new wires,
plugs, battery, starter, timing belt, you name it I had it changed. Had it checked by another mechanic said it was the timing belt, jumped, just spent two days and redid it... BUT even though we had number one cylinder on top, the cams all were in order but
the crank was left approx. 90 degrees. Before I buttoned it up I had two different mechanics tell me that even though it was 90 degrees left, it would not matter. That this is not unusual for a 3.0 engine. Well, it still runs badly, it idles high about 1500
RPM, and will go to 3K to maybe 4K but starts to bog down... That is the situation guys..
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
Lets start with the basics, turn the engine until the balancer is at the 0 position against the cover and remove the upper cover so you can check the cam sprockets.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/cover.pdf
Copy and paste that link into a new browser tab to view the timing marks.
With the balancer on 0 the cams should be on their marks or 180 off. If 180 off turn the balancer one complete revolution back to the mark and recheck the cams.
Let me know if the marks line up, if they don't use the diagram to align them as shown and then see how it runs.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already did that...
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
So are the marks on or 90 out like you posted above?