Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Eclipse RS: I just purchased a 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse rs and the rear seat belt on the drivers side wont pull down as it is stuck, any thing I can do to fix it myself? I need help so my son can ride in the car with me.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
If the seat belt is stuck entirely and can not come out at all, your only course of action is to replace the seat belt retractor. These are not hard to replace, apart from having to take the interior trim off. Otherwise it is just a few bolts holding them on.
If you can get the belt to move a little bit, the retractor may have just operated beyond its limit. In this case a short tug, then when it tries to retract the small amount you moved pull it again to catch it in the middle of the spring operation. If you are lucky, you can sometimes get them to come free.
Again if the belt won't move at all (and/or is fully retracted already and won't move), your only option is to replace the retractor; either the mechanism is jammed/broken, or the belt folded over internally etc.