Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 4x2: Montero sport disconnected

Customer Question

Montero sport disconnected battery while running and now cant read computer wont start
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Can we go over -all- of the fuses, particularly paying attention to the larger fusible links under the hood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. what fusible link am I looking for? All fuses in fuse box are good took out the big fuses and checked them with ohm meter.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. It would have been one of the large links usually, I'm a bit surprised they were all good.
When you turn the ignition key on, does the Service Engine light turn on for a bulb test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just battery break and oil
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Lets go back and double check fusible links 2 (20A) and 6 (40A), and in dash fuse 11 (10A) and under hood 5 (10A).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuses all good but no power at fuse ,5 but fuse is good
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Lets go back to fusible link 6 and make sure there is power at the socket and you have direct continuity between the output side of the socket and the input side of the fuse #5 socket.
Take a very close look at the link too... sometimes you can wobble the legs around and see movement inside etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have power on both legs of the power side of both both fuses and continuity of both power legs of the fuses but it is open between the output of 5 and imput of 6 lets clarify that im working with 5 fuseable link (fan motor) and 6 fuse (hazards)?
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't sound right.
Please check #6 in the diagram below and then make sure the other fuse circled (thats fuse 5) has power.

http://i.imgur.com/HcTrDDA.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is not what we are looking at.
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
No problem, these covers are sometimes labeled differently than the service manual. Not always, but just enough to keep you on your toes.
Please check the 40A link there, make sure it has power on both sides and then the other fuse I circled make sure it has power at both sides.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes we have power on both sides of both
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Knowing our fuse numbers were suspect, please use the chart I provided before to verify the 20A #2 directly above it (again using my chart), and also double check fuse #11 in my chart below:

http://i.imgur.com/mr0L7FG.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both good
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
At this point there isn't really anywhere else to go but ecu failure if you are certain all fuses, especially those I mentioned are intact.
The engine light not coming on is indicating that the computer is not powering up. while we could speculate on a ground or wiring issue, these are nearly impossible given the circumstances... the vehicle was running then there was a spike and now it won't run. The only things that can really happen there are fuse failure and actual computer (ecu) failure. The wiring didn't suddenly go bad from the spike, nor did the relays suddenly fail etc. Only your safeties (fuses/links) and integrated circuits are at risk here, and the only one that would prevent the ecu from powering up is the ecu itself.
I would take one last pass over all the fuses to make sure nothing was overlooked or has a hairline fissure that is not passing current but just enough to look good etc. If all is definitely well, it is going to be time to get it to the dealer for ecu testing/verification/replacement.