Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Montero Limited: I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Montero

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Montero limited and it wont start in park but it will start in neutral. and this happens alot. I researched online and it said it could be the transmission range switch. so i replaced it but it still does the same thing. Could you tell me what the issue could be?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Hi,If you turn the key to Start then while holding it start moving the shift lever, does the starter ever engage (prior to reaching Neutral of course)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, if i leave the shift lever in park and then put the key in and turn it then i hit or shake the lever. the car turns on.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.The position switches have some adjustment in them at the mounting bolts, have you tried adjusting it into position so that it starts then tightening?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, i have not.

Expert:  Doug replied 1 year ago.
Just to be clear, the problem only occurs on Park... in neutral it always starts on the first try right?