Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Mitsubishi eclipse: No spark going to the coil , no power to

No spark going to the coil , no power to the fuel pump... car cranks but does not start
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Do you have an aftermarket alarm system fitted ,

Greg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Greg , No I did not installed any alarm system, I do not know if there was any installed when I purcharsed it

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do remember seeing one recently but I removed it , I disconnected the black little box it was where the radio is , Let me provide you with more details of how the problem started , I parked the car and I left it idling while I was speaking to someone and suddenly the car shut down by itself and I did not ever started since then. I thought it was fuel related so I put in some fuel enough to make the car start but I did not ... then I notice that I was not able to hear the fuel pump and then I went ahead to check for any spark from the coil pack (which has recently been changed) , I thought that the relays were bad ( ASD and the fuel relay ) so I jumped and cable on both relays jumping 87 to 30 and I was able to hear the fuel pump and I was able to get 12 v reading on the middle pin that goes to the coil pack, I hope this info helps...

Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Hi Orlando .

Check your MFI relay , located in the centre of the dash
graphic

Get back to me after checking this .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The MFI relay is located where the fuse box is ? Under the drivers side ? Now I see that the image you sent me says turbo ... Mine is a 420a engine does it matter ? And What exactly are we looking for on this specific relay ?

Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
This is the MFI relay None turbo relay same position

When you switch on the ignition the relay should click .
Try another relay .
Greg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Will do , I will get back to you in a couple of hours since right now I am at work..

Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Orlando .

My mistake the MFI is next to the fuel pump relay, on left side of firewall.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Will the MFI relay be the same as the ASD ? Because on the firewall side (battery side) I have got two relays only ... The first one which I believe is the fuel pump relay and the second one is ASD... or would it be located in front of the passenger's side ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Please answer my previous question so that I can investigate ...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am working on my car now... But I cannot see the MFI relay under the hood

Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 10 months ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to be taking over with you. Greg has to step out. Give me a few minutes to look this over and catch up.
OK Your MFI relay IS the ASD relay.

Attachment: 2013-09-05_162321_ace_-_0.pdf

Have you checked for injector pulse?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

That's what I followed to test the relays

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/49mou-dodge-ram-2500-reset-asd-relay.html

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes I checked for 12v on the black/red stripes cable on the injectors and it is dead... I got 12v when jumping the relays but the car did not start

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Greg I am ready for your instructions...

Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes

Have you checked all of your fuses with it? Im pretty certain you need a crankshaft position sensor. But I would double check the fuses first. Im assuming you dont have a scan tool?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do have an scan tool... but no errors... I would even say that it is not connecting to my scanner.... And yes this car has a crank shaft position sensor which has been recently changed... no more than 2 months ago... All fuses are in shape

If youre sure the fuses are good and crank sensor is good Im going to have to opt out and see if we can find someone else. In that case its most likely a bad ECM but I dont know of any surefire way to check that without a scan tool.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

All right ... so would you assign this problem to someone else ? Or do I have to do it?

I am already opted out but it couldnt hurt to relist it as well.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I will wait for someone else to take over on this one.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

What´s a locked question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Please allow me to ask a few questions in order to better help resolve your concern.

Does the Throttle position sensor have voltage going to it with the key on? If so, how much?

Does the crankshaft position sensor have voltage going to it with the key on? If so, how much?

What is the engine compression at?

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Amedee
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Which pins am I required to test? On those sensors?

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
The yellow wire going to the cam and crank sensor

The Green/Yellow wire at the Throttle Position Sensor

Key must be ON when checking these two circuit for voltage
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

All right, be right back

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
Sounds good
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The readings I got were 0.59v on all three sensors..

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
Hello!

Check the powers going into the PCM with the key on. They are pins 2 and 22 in the black Powertrain Control Module connector. Pin 22 comes from the fuse in the Power Distribution Center. Pin 2 gets power from the ignition switch.

Next, check the powers and grounds at the Powertrain Control Module. T the grounds on pin 31 and 32.

Be sure the key is ON for this test. If all checks out OK, the PCM is bad and will need to be replaced.

Amedee
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hey I need a diagram ... so that I can know which pin is 2 and 22 ... And Did I just paid you ??? We are not done yet...

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
Hello!

I don't have a diagram of the PCM connector. However, I would just look for the red wires with black stripe. Both are red/black wires.

NO, you did not pay me as of yet. I get credit once you rate my answer as "OK" service or higher.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hey 2 and 22 are grounds... they do not have any reading ... please refer to this...http://www.justanswer.com/mitsubishi/6nxhw-mitsubishi-eclipse-rs-95-eclipse-rs-when-turn.html

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
That is the root cause. The computer is not powered up. You need to double check all fuses and fusible links. Check both under the hood and inside the vehicle.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Let me swap my ecu with my brothers... he is got the same eclipse but 96

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
If these pins don't have power, swapping the ECU wont help. The computer needs power to work.

However, it is possible that you did not get an accurate reading when checking these pins for power.

Let me know how it goes!

Amedee
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have swaped the ecus already and i still got no readings... i am attaching the black one to the negative and the pin from the multimeter to the pins you suggested... and nothing yet not even the coils middle pin is got 12v.. and not even the fuel rail... Am I doing it right ? I mean am I using the multimeter..?.

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
As long as the key is turned on, you are doing this correctly.

The PCM has no power. That is the problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

What could it be related to??? I did test the ASD and the fuel relay... They seem to be working fine ... but I do not feel the click the relays are supposed to make... I did jump both relays from socket 87 to 30... and everything gets energized.. I mean all the sensors do mark some readings on them... For example the coil shows 12v... the fuel one shows 12v as well.. But the car only cranks but does not start

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

BTW the fuel pump is dead... but when jumping the relays I can hear it work... But still the car does not start..

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
YOU HAVE A BAD/BLOWN FUSIBLE LINK OR LINKS LOCATED IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT RELAY BOX

The PCM gets power from fusible link number 4 under the hood. This should have power at all times.

The ignition switch powers up the PCM as well. Check to be sure that the white wire going to the ignition switch is HOT at all times.

If not, then check fusible link number 6 in the engine compartment relay box.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Could you please indicate which is the name of the relays/Fuses we are looking for... below is an image for your reference

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Fuse_Box_Covers

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
Check these three fusible links. It is going to be a 30 amp fusible link. It could be more than one bad fusible link causing this issue. If they are good, check for power on the main 60 and 120 amp fusible links at the very bottom of the picture.

graphic
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Amedee thanks for assisting me... I was able to verify that fuses.. the ones marked with red are all 12v... and the ones with yellow.. were dead... I was able to see a shortcut on one of the cables .. to be more specific the one that says Tail Lamp ... or the one marked with white ... and some cables were joined together... could this be the cause of my issue... The weird thing was that the car was idling and suddenly it shut off by itsel and never started again..

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay!

It was getting late last night and I had to get some sleep.

Anyway, I am not sure this shortcut would be able to cause this no power condition. It all depends on how the vehicle is wired and if this shortcut is preventing these 30 amp fusible links from getting power. If that is the case, then yes, it can cause this issue.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I will work on the fuse wiring , i will reply as soon as I am done rebulding it

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
Sounds good! I am glad I could help! I do hope you are as honest with me as I have been with you about your vehicle. It has been a pleasure assisting you with your question. Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" so I get credit for the time and knowledge that I have shared with you in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Amedee
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

But if i rate the operation you will get paid... but what if the problem is not on the fuse box??? Do I have to pay for a new question?

Expert:  Amedee replied 10 months ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay!

We can still continue this conversation even after you rate my answer. This session will not close. You will have the opportunity to ask follow up questions as needed at no further cost.

Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector