VirtualWrench (L J)
VirtualWrench (L J), Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

Mitsubishi Express Camper Van: I am thinking of purchasing

I am thinking of purchasing a 1995 Express Van Camper. I am concerned because the seller had the lights on when I arrived and then when I went to start the engine, it was very slow to turn over. As soon as I gave it gas and turned the key it started. What type of problem could this indicate? it has 360,000 KM and any info I should check that is typical of this vehicle. I realize its pretty much a risk any way but I need a car.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  VirtualWrench (L J) replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,

It sounds like it was slow to start because the lights were on and lowered the voltage in the battery.

After it started did you turn it off and see if it was still slow to start?

LJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it was still slow to start even after taking it for a short drive. Any problems typical of this type and mileage car I should be vigilant of?

Why would giving it gas help the battery voltage?

Thanks Maryann,

More than likely it has a weak battery and will need replaced. When you give it gas then crank the engine it doesnt really do anything for the voltage but does allow the engine to turn faster.

As far as typical problems, with the miles it has on it, i strongly suggest having a shop look at the brakes and suspension before you buy it because repairs in those areas can be costly.

Also have the transmission inspected by a shop. They can tell a lot about its condition just by inspecting it because you sure dont want any expenses there!

Please remember to rate my assistance today and just let me know if you have any further questions. If not, thanks for asking!

LJ

Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic