Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30+ years practical experience in all types of repair and trouble shooting on Mitu's
2947720

Mitsubishi montero sport XLS: I have a 2001 mitsubishi montero

I have a 2001 mitsubishi montero sport. Yesterday after driving through flooded roads the day before the day before the shifter became very hard to move, like it was being dragged through thick mud. What do you think it is? The car still goes into drive, reverse, neutral, etc, but it is very difficult to move the shifter.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

Do you see any mud around the shifter lever at the trans?

.

Have you tried with the cable off the lever?

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure about the mud. Have not tried with the cable off the lever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

didn't look for mud yet.

have not tried cable off lever.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that the cable got some dirty water in it. That would be easy to see. With the cable off the lever if it moves freely, then of course it's not the cable. If it is still hard to move, then the cable is bad. Sometimes you can spray some WD-40 under the little boot and into the cable housing to see if that will work it's way in, (after a few moves back and forth) and make it easier to shift.
.
Of course if there is a lot of mud packed around the lever, you will want to clean it off first
.

..

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So it seems like it's not the whole transmission that is causing problems?

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
The problem could be in the trans. but the only way to know is to take the cable off and see how it moves. It would more likely be the cable, if it's not packed with mud around the lever.
.

..

.

.

Thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: 30+ years practical experience in all types of repair and trouble shooting on Mitu's
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joyce, Super mechanic here. I was just wondering how your vehicle is and wanted to see if you may need any more on it.