tripletauto
tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified master technician Shop foreman believe in providing professional service
15993919

Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4x4: the data port on my 2002

Customer Question

the data port on my 2002 montero sport not working, so i can't program my remote, is there a fuse that is blown if so where is it located? how do you troubleshoot to find out the problem?

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  tripletauto replied 1 year ago.

tripletauto :

tripletauto :

Are you referring to the data link connector under the dash?

tripletauto :

This is powered by fuse 5 in the engine compartment it is a 10 amp fuse

tripletauto :

Full Size Image

tripletauto :

Full Size Image

tripletauto :

There is a description of the fuses.

tripletauto :

It is best to check fuses with a test light and check all of them.

Customer :

I have checked all fuses under hood and under dash, all fuses checks ok, so your answer did not help at all.

tripletauto :

and you have no power at the data link connector?

Customer :

Please give me a call as soon as you get this reply, as the answer you provided did not help as i have already tried the fuses, all fuses checked out good. My number is XXX-XXX-XXXX James.

Customer :

not at all

tripletauto :

We are not allowed to call sorry.

tripletauto :

If the connector has no power and that fuse is good the wiring is open at some point.

tripletauto :

Have you check the connector for power so we know it is a power isuue and not ground?

Customer :

i took my vehicle to have remote programmed they could not program it

Customer :

how would one do that

tripletauto :

Do you have a test light?

Customer :

yes

tripletauto :

Ok and you know where the data link connector is correct?

Customer :

yes under the dash on driver side

tripletauto :

ok you need to check it for power. with the test light.

tripletauto :

One of the wires should have power

Customer :

how would i check it for power

tripletauto :

with your test light just touch the terminals inside the connector do not jam it in the connector this will spread terminals.

tripletauto :

clip of test light hooked to a good ground.

Customer :

how many terminals will have power?

tripletauto :

just one

Customer :

if none have power what would be my next step?

tripletauto :

would have to trace wiring back to fuse block.

Customer :

ok i'll try this

tripletauto :

ok let me know.

Customer :

will do

tripletauto :

The problem may be not that it will not power up but no communication.

tripletauto :

the data link connector is wedge shaped,with the wider part at top the power supply will be on the lower right end.

tripletauto :

I will keep checking back on here to see what you find.

Customer :

Thanks for your help, even tho i have tried everything you have told me to no avail, i give up again.

tripletauto :

SO does it have power?

tripletauto :

And who was trying to program remote? A lot of aftermarket equipment will not work

tripletauto :

I have a key/remote programmer it will program some vehicles but will not go thru on some. Even same model.

Customer : I'm sorry to inform you, but my problem have not been resolved. But it's my fault for throwing away money that I can't afford to.
Customer : So I will not rate you at this time.
tripletauto :

Some problems just cant be solved without seeing the vehicle. sorry I will forward you to customer service