Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Mitsubishi Galant: 2000 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4L 4cylinders:

Customer Question

2000 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4L 4cylinders: Hello I need help with my 2000 Galant. I bought it with a blown head gasket and I've replaced the block with a good one and had the Engine Head fully rebuilt with reseating the valves, new valve stem seals etc. Once everything was back in, all fluids topped off. It fired up fine. However when it reaches operating temperature it hiccups, rpms drop, and then stalls.

I have to adjust the Idle Screw to Idle at 1600 rpms for the engine to stay on.  At 1600 rpms, shifting into D or R would let the Galant drive but braking would result in stalling.

While idling between 1000-1600 RPMS, there is a pattern of timed misfire.  Misfire... 6 seconds... misfire... 10 seconds... misfire... 6 seconds... misfire... 10 seconds... misfire

DTC P0300

New NGK Spark Plugs

New Spark Plug Wires

New Fel-Pro MLS Head Gasket

New Water Pump

New Timing Belt

Cylinder 1: 160 Psi

Cylinder 2: 160 Psi

Cylinder 3: 160 Psi

Cylinder 4: 160 Psi

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.

Is there any change from your compression when measuring with the engine hot versus cold?
Are any codes being set when it begins running rough or stalls (not necessarily the light coming on, but pending codes before the key is turned off)?
What do your long term fuel trims look like?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Doug, thanks for your reply.

The compression is the same, hot or cold. There are no additional codes other than P0300. I drive it like a stick shift and put it in neutral everytime before a complete stop and have driven it 80+ miles with no additional Faults nor Pending Faults. I will try and get the fuel trim readings tonight. Please provide me instructions on how to monitor fuel trims or what measurments I should be looking for. I have OBDII laptop software that can provide live PID data as the vehicle is on. Thank you Sir.

Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.

Your fuel trims will be in your live data list on the scan tool software, indicated as LT and ST (long term and short term).

Can you describe the timing mark positions as you set them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.
Is your reluctor orientation the same, so that the V notch is to the right of the reluctor tab and not to the left?

Is your oil pump phased correctly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reluctor is to the right. I had a shop I know double check it the timing for me as well. The oil pump at the lower right has its arrow lined up with its relevant timing mark.

Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.
For clarification, the V notch should be to the right of the reluctor, not the reluctor to the right. If that is the case, your reluctor is on backwards.

The oil pump has 720 degrees of rotation; aligning it to the mark is not sufficient, you need to know if it is in phase or not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me correct myself, the "V" notch(on the blade) is to the right of the the stationary mark behind the blade(reluctor?). Yeah I noticed when the timing belt is on, it takes two full CAMshaft turns for the oilpump to line up to TDC with the CAMshaft and Crankshaft.

Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.
Great, that's what we want.

You are misunderstanding me regarding the oil pump.

The oil pump takes six spins of the crank to align. This is due to the oil pump being 1/3 the diameter of the cam gear. This is not the important part however.

The oil pump drives a primary balance shaft that is gear driven in a 1:2 ratio. That means that the oil pump spins two complete turns to align, and having the mark lined up means nothing with regard to timing the oil pump.

So with that being said, based on your response I can say the oil pump may or may not be aligned at this point, as you have a 50/50 shot when the marks line up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah I noticed I had to turn the Crank and Cam a number of times for the the oil pump to realign. I will try and get those fuel trim measurements for you later tonight when I get to the Vehicle. Thank you Doug.

Expert:  Doug replied 3 years ago.
No problem.

While I don't think this is going to be your idle issue, it will throw the P0300 and can affect idle in some instances.

If you would like to verify the oil pump timing, the easiest way is to remove the belt again.
With the belt removed, spin the oil pump until the marks are aligned. In this condition, twist the gear 90 degrees in either direction and let go.... if the gear springs back to the "aligned" position, you are in-time and can install the belt. If the gear falls away from the "aligned" position, you are 360 degrees out and need to rotate it one full spin to bring it back into phase.

Let me know what you see for your LT/ST trims and we will go from there.