Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Mitsubishi Outlander: I need to change the transmission and

Customer Question

I need to change the transmission and transfer case fluids on my 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander 4WD. I'll need to know the types and amount of fluids to use for each and whether there's a filter to change. Also, I'll need guidance on steps to follow.

Thx.
Kurt
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 1 year ago.

You are correct in that this transmission uses a specialty fluid that is NOT compatible with global/universal fluid types. This is a common misconception with those fluids since the name indicates that they should work on anything, however they are rather limited to the traditional type 3 and type 4 fluids and the many variants.

Your V6 Outlander uses a special transmission fluid referred to as J2 6 speed ATF. It is not safe to use any other fluid long term in this transmission.
When changing the transmission fluid you need to do a drain and fill and not a flush on this model. The reason is that if you hook this up to a flush machine you will get cross contamination of the fluid from whatever is left over in the machine.
To perform the drain and fill, it is best to measure the amount you drain so that you can put the exact amount back in eliminating lengthy level check issues. Depending on the build date of the transmission you can use between just under 5 and just over 6 quarts of fluid during a drain and fill.

There is a drain plug directly on the bottom of the transmission for draining. Refill in through the dipstick tube, going slowly so that you don't back up the tube.

graphic

Your transfer case will take about a half a quart of GL5 hypoid gear oil (90W is recommended). You can use aftermarket fluid here if you wish, Drain from the drain plug directly on the bottom, and refill through the fill hole on the passenger side oupper half of the transfer case. Use a fluid transfer pump to get the fluid in (no room to pour it in), and when the fluid runs out from being level with the fill hole, the case is at the correct level.

graphic

Your rear differential will take another half quart of the same GL5 hypoid gear oil, 80W is recommended.
Again the drain plug is right on the bottom and the fill hole is half way up the back of the differential. Use a transfer pump to fill the differential until fluid comes out the fill hole from being level with it, indicating it is full.

I do not have a suitable diagram of the rear differential drain and fill points, however they are not difficult to find either. The only catch is that depending on your build date, instead of regular bolts it may have Hex plugs, requiring a Hex bit to remove (Normally a 10mm Hex).

If you have any questions at all please just let me know and I would be happy to elaborate.
IF you feel the need to use one of the lower two negative ratings, please contact me first via the Reply/Continue Conversation link so that I may address your concerns.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the for the instructions- is the filler hole for the transfer case hard to find? Also, where would I obtain a fluid transfer pump and how much would I expect to pay? KB

Expert:  Doug C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all.

The filler for the transfer case is hard to find if you don't know where to look. It is hard to see in person, unlike in the picture. It is on the passenger side of the transfer case, up above the axle and a bit rearward. It will be a 17mm bolt and may have "oil" stamped into it (2007 could go either way, later models all have these writing on them).

You can get disposable fluid transfer pumps at most auto parts stores for about $10. This is a MUST HAVE for this job... once you are under there you will see there is no other way.
The cheapest pumps are like this:
graphic
And will have either one tube (draws the oil into the chamber then pushes it back out through the same tube), or two tubes (one one tube goes into supply oil, then the pump pushes that out the other tube into the transfer case). Either is fine, and again these should be considered disposable... they don't last long but will be suitable for your needs. They just don't typically due well sitting around after being used.

There are much nicer ones you can get of course, but it all depends on how often you think you will be using it etc. Personally I use the above ones until the start leaking then just replace them. They are cheap enough.

Again if you have any questions just let me know and we can continue..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doug, I forgot to ask about the transmission filter- does it have one?

Expert:  Doug C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all. This transmission does not have a traditional filter that you would replace as normal maintenance.
Like all modern Mitsubishis, this transmission has a "lifetime" filter that does not need to be replaced except in the event of an internal failure; it is designed to last the life of the vehicle. Because of this, they put it in a very awkward location that prevents you from being able to change it anyway.
On this model a strainer is attached to the back side of the oil pump, and to access it the transmission must be removed and the oil pump removed from the case. The strainer would come out on the back side of the pump.

Again there is no reason to replace this unless you were to have a catastrophic failure that would result in clogging of the filter.... at which point the transmission is out and being disassembled anyway. This is why they locate it where they do.

If you have any questions as always just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doug, should be one last question on this. I finally received my DiaQueen J2 fluid direct from Mitsubishi and the time it took to receive it got me to thinking about my last tranny fluid change at a local independent shop. The closest Mitsubishi dealer to my location is about 80 miles away and they don't stock the J2 fluid. My local shop had the fluid done same day which makes me think they may have used a global fluid. That being the case, do I need to consider a flush? I have a local Subaru dealer but that's about as close to Mitsu as I can get without a road trip- could they do it? Could anyone with a flush machine do it? What would they flush it with? Would I still be better off just draining and replacing it? Thx. for the help, KB

Expert:  Doug C. replied 1 year ago.

We strongly recommend only using the approved J fluid. Without a nearby dealer it is most likely they used a global fluid unless there is a comparable fluid from another manufacturer (for example the older Diaqueen SPIII you could buy at Hyundai dealers since they used out transmission design for a while).
If you have had the fluid in there for a while and have had no side effects, while the flushing with proper fluid of course would be ideal, I don't think it would be necessary. It appears that whatever was used it is getting along with ok.

Now if this was just done a few thousand miles ago or less, then I would say yes get it out of there.... but I am assuming it has been 30k or more and the fluids are well impregnated into the fibers etc anyway.

Having it flushed is not advisable without a dealer specifically because you can guarantee the machine that is used is not made for J2.... meaning there will be trace amounts or worse of other fluids in the machine, negating any effect of the flush if it pushes through the ~3/4 quart in the lines into your transmission with a type 3 fluid, etc. When dealing with the 6 speed or the CVT transmission we can only flush with dedicated flush equipment to prevent cross contamination, and at an independent shop or even other dealer that doesn't use this transmission you certainly won't find a J2 dedicated machine.

If all is has been working well for a considerable distance, consider it a lucky match and just do a regular drain and fill.