Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi pajero: Starts from cold ok,then rough idle starts,once

Starts from cold ok,then rough idle starts,once warm its ok,once driven and comes to rest rough idle comes back.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.

Can you have the system scanned to see what faults are turning the engine management light on?

What is the current mileage and at what point was the injector pump last serviced or inspected?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry i have not been able to reply due to being out of the UK,details i have now got for you is. Current mileage is 87.895,as far as i know this is from new. It is an import into UK from New Zealand by a farmer who found fuel prices to high here so it sold on. There has only been three other owners including me,the fuel pump has not been serviced as far i know either.

In May this year i had to replace front pulley due to this breaking up,damaging the is it stater plate,which damaged the electrical timing pickup next to pulley.

When i had the engine management light come on for a while i decided to put it into a proper mitsubishi garage,were they gave a diagnostic check and that i needed MAIN THROTTLE SOLENOILD VALVE SYSTEM. I had them do this as recommeded,there is no EGR fitted.

As it turn out,also at this garage they said to me when collecting car that they did not have the proper diagnostic coding due to it being a import into UK.

Date of registration 01/02/1997 in New Zealand possable

'' '' '' 01/08/2005 in UK.

Engine nos 4M40, non electronic injectors. Hope this helps more.

Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Hi, it's no problem.

So when the throttle solenoid was replaced, was the engine management light resolved at that time or does it still come and go? If it still comes and goes, do we know if the same fault is being recorded?

Is there any other abnormal behavior other than the rough idle when warming up? Excess smoke, lack of power during that time etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No light has come on since, no other abnormal running too. As said it starts up i do some times have to sit for a minute till it seems to warm up on temperature gauge not fully,it ticks over steady,but found when engage drive being an auto the ruff rough running comes back. This does finally smooth out when fully warm up to temperature,but again go for run come to stop its rough idle again at tick over, leave smooths out again.

Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

Has the intake and associated hoses been checked to see how much gunk you have built up? With minimal other issues I'm curious if it is just a bit coked up and clearing up when the engine gets warm and softens it up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry its been so long getting back again since last email with details.I use the vehicle for work and it finally gave up and broke down,its been sitting in a mitsubishi garage under what the call repair,but the cant seem to cure the problem saying its just one of those cars with problems. Rethinking now of renewing my car,for another mitsubishi, thanks for your help and will recommend this web site to others.

Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.

I hope you don't go away from Mitsubishi, but I can understand your frustration. I hope things come together for you regardless. If there is anything I can do please let me know.
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician