Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Mitsubishi L200 pickup: Code U1101. Engine is hard to start,

Code U1101. Engine is hard to start, and there is little power at low rpm. L200 Turbo Diesel pickup 2007.

Is this an automatic or manual gearbox?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Manual. The truck also blows white smoke at low speeds, has trouble getting out of the 1200 to 2000 rpm range.

You can disregard the code U1101 then; the code is indicating there is a CANBUS communication failure between the PCM and the TCM.... this code will always be set on manual transmission models.

What is the mileage on the truck to date? History of maintenance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bought it used about 9 months ago, so not sure of previous maintenance history. I think it was a rental. It is now driven on unpaved roads at high altitude (up to 17,000 ft ) in Chile. The truck has ~ 100km on odometer.

I know this sounds simple, but when was the last time the air filter was changed? How about the fuel filter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both have been regularly maintained, last changed within 5 000km

Has the timing belt ever been changed?

Did anything noteworthy happen prior to this condition occurring?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As far as I know, the timing belt has never been changed. Hard starting has been progressive as well as the loss of power at low rpm.

At the mileage you have reached it is not unusual for the injector pump to need servicing as well as the injectors to need to be balanced.

At this point I would recommend having the injectors checked to verify their pressure is normal, and if all is well there having the injector pump gone over and overhauled as necessary. Again at 100k this is about the typical time that we see these needing service.

My only other concern would have been if the timing belt had been replaced recently, it is not uncommon for this to result in these symptoms. This is due to the injector pump being extremely sensitive about it's alignment. It can take as little as 2 to 3 degrees of being out of adjustment to result in reduced power and hard starting. Because of this sensitivity it is normal for them to slip a bit out of adjustment over time.

If the injectors check out OK, I would proceed with verifying the injector pump is aligned properly and if all is well have it fully checked to see if it needs to be overhauled and reset,