Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4: I have a 1992 3000gt VR4. The engine

Customer Question

I have a 1992 3000gt VR4. The engine begins to miss/cut out at mid RPMs somwhere above 7lbs of boost. I have already changed the plugs wires and coil pack. What is going on and how can I fix the problem?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Let me do a little bit of research and I will give you an answer in a little bit here. Thanks
It could be several things. Most likely a bad coil or sensor. Is it a DEAD misfire? Or just a light miss? We can start doing some testing if you want or just make a well educated guess. Have you checked the computer for codes? That would be helpful.
Let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure I know the difference between a DEAD or light misfire. It seems to miss for a second or two when I give it a little too much gas but will usually work through the rough spot and winds out. I thought it may be coil or plugs so I had all new installed. I had it checked and it is not showing any codes.
A dead misfire is like the whole car shaking and stumbling. A light miss is just something you feel but its not shaking violently.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
more likw a light miss.
Not having a scanner I hope you understand and wont blame me but this is going to have to be a trial and error process. it isn't like a common problem that is easy to guess at beyond what you have already had done.

The most likely reasons are gonna be a boost leak, vacuum leak or egr valve stuck open.
If it was in my shop the first thing I would do is smoke test it to check for leaks. I'm guessing you dont have a smoke machine. If you do it may be worth it to have a shop do it for you to save the headaches of checking without it.
But you can spray everywhere with brake cleaner and listen for a change in the rpms to try and track it down. If that doesn't turn up anything pull the egr valve and see if its stuck partially open and clean it while you got it out. We can move on after that. Let me know how it goes. Thanks
Please remember to only rate the service when you are 100% satisfied you have received all the information you need. If you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not credited for my time for a negative rating. Keep in mind, the correct answer may not be good news, but the rating is for the service. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I receive credit for helping you. Even if you have a follow up question later, you can still come back to this question after you have rated the service.

Thank you, Wayne