Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Lancer: How do you check the transmission fluid

How do you check the transmission fluid level in a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.

Is this an automatic or manual transmission?

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
automatic
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

First you will need to locate the transmission dipstick.
Standing in front of the vehicle with the hood up, the dipstick will be located just to the left and forward of the battery/air cleaner area. It is down low, it only protrudes up a few inches from the top of the pan on the front of the transmission. The stick on a 2002 is normally round and an off white or bluish hue.

Once you have located the dipstick, start the engine and bring it up to operating temperature. It is important the the engine is at operating temperature when checking the transmission fluid level.
When the engine is up to operating temperature and on a level surface, you can then check the transmission fluid. The engine MUST be running when you check the transmission fluid to get an accurate reading.

Pull the dipstick out while the engine is hot and running and wipe it off on a paper towel. Insert the dipstick back into the transmission all the way then immediately pull it back out and look at the level on the end of the stick. You will see a "cold" range and a "hot" range, you need to be within the "hot" range.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate one of the lower two negative ratings, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY/CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the information you need to be completely satisfied.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician