AMD
AMD, Master Technician
Experience:  L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist
65953032

galant: My brake lights dont work if the headlights are on...cyl

Customer Question

My brake lights don't work if the headlights are on. 2003 mitsi galant 4 cyl
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  AMD replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing just answer.

In order to diagnose this problem you will need a volt meter and some basic electrical\mechanical skills. Do you have a volt meter so we can start testing to find the problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a volt meter. I did not realize how fast this response would come. I expected to hear tomorrow. It will take some time to get the meter to the car.
Expert:  AMD replied 2 years ago.

OK I would like to note that I will be available for an hour now and then tomorrow morning until 10:30am central time then back here at 9:30PM central time(I go to work). I don't want to leave you waiting for an answer, I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Now let's get to the problem, I would like you to start by locating the brake switch. Connect your black meter lead to a ground and check with the red. First check the green wire with a black tracer, It should have 12v, then while checking it turn your headlights on and see what you read. Then connect your red meter lead to a green wire. This wire should read 12v when the brake pedal is pressed, Turn your headlights on and see if you have 12v or it goes away.

Let me know what you find, I want you to check this to figure out if our problem is with power supply or it's a ground problem.

Let me know what you find and I will get back to you as soon as I can, Hopefully it will always be fast.

AMD, Master Technician
Experience: L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We read twelve volts when the headlights are off. When the head
Lights are on it does not read twelve volts.
Expert:  AMD replied 2 years ago.
OK locate the fuse for the brake lights, Check over the legs of the fuse the same way, Check for 12v with headlights on and off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its raining here we have to work tomorrow
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  AMD replied 2 years ago.
OK let me know what you find. I will be here tomorrow until 10:30 am central time and then I will be back at 9:30PM central time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You fixed the issue. We think it was a faulty flickering ulb in the third eye brake ight. When we replaced the bulb it fixed the problem. I had never seen a bulb that sort of worked. Usually the y are out or on. Anyway you aided us in our quest. I am trying to find the leave good feedback button. THanks again for your help
Expert:  AMD replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

I am glad I could help, Just answer have changed their rating system so in order to leave feedback you have to rate it which will make you pay again but you have already accepted my answer and I got compensated.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for choosing just answer.