Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse: I broke the timing belt and have questions

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse, I broke the timing belt and have questions about the best way to go now.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Do you have specific questions related to your broken timing belt or would you like an opinion on what should be done next?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would like your opinion of how to proceed. The car also had a frozen Ac pump-- thus no power steering at the time of the belt breaking.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. if the valves have been bent from the timing belt breaking, then the damage is already done. So that means you have two options. You could either A) install a new timing belt after lining up the timing marks and see if she fires up or B) do a cylinder leak down test using a special tool cylinder leak down tester to see if the valves are bent. It is as simple as that. The special tool is rather expensive. You could buy one or just have a local garage do this test for you. If you would rather just try and install a timing belt, that might be a quicker way to find out if the valves are bent. If it starts and runs, you got lucky :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What are the pros and cons of replacement crate engines? What would be a better, more economical way to go?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
If the valves are in fact bent, then it is possible that replacing the engine is just cheaper and faster than replacing the cylinder head and sending it out to a machine shop to get fixed. However, the price all depends on the shops labor rate and the price for the parts that are going to be used including the engine. IF you can get a low mileage engine for a good deal, that might be a way to go. If not, then removing and fixing the cylinder head would be the more economical way to go. Again, it all depends on what the shop would charge for labor and parts etc..