Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician

Mitsubishi Lancer ES: I am trying to remove the steering wheel

I am trying to remove the steering wheel cover of my 2002 mistubishi lancers LS, but I don't see any screws. How do I remove it?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug replied 4 years ago.

On this model, you need to remove the steering wheel before you remove the airbag/wheel pad.
It's an unusual setup that differs from most wheel/air bag systems. Before doing anything, you need to remove the negative battery cable to disarm the airbag system.
Pry off the small plastic cover on the bottom of the wheel, and unplug the electrical connectors.
On the left side of the wheel is a hole, you will need to use a long allen bit inserted in this hole to loosen the wheel from the column. As you unscrew the allen bolt, it releases a clamp on the column. Once loose, you will be able to pull the steering wheel off the column.

Once the wheel is off the column, you can flip it over and you will see three nuts on the back side of the wheel. These are what hold the airbag to the steering wheel.

Be aware that the majority of the time when there is a failure in the airbag/cover portion of the horn, it is not repairable and requires the air bag to be replaced; there are no service parts available for the air bag from Mitsubishi.