Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi employed and Factory trained ASE certified technician
21364095

2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor: Oil light..during acceleration

Customer Question

Oil light in 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor flashes on idle but disappears during acceleration and remains off until idle at stop?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.

The majority of the time when this happens it is simply a failed oil pressure switch. This is the switch (or 'sensor') located just above the oil filter. When these switches get old, they often start skewing their reading and what may be a normal healthy oil pressure could be interpreted wrong, showing the flickering oil light on the dash at low engine speed (idle). When the engine speed increases, the oil pump volume increases and therefor pressure increases, turning the light off.

If you haven't already, change your oil and see if the condition changes. If you have already done that or the oil is fresh (3000 miles or less), then you will want to have a mechanical oil pressure test performed to see exactly what the pressure is. In the event that you actually have low pressure, engine internal work is normally in order. This is rarely the case however, compared to the number of oil pressure switches that go bad.
Because of the very low cost of the oil pressure switch (usually under $25, even cheaper aftermarket), many people opt to just replace the switch first and see if the problem goes away. There is nothing wrong with going this route, as it is cheaper to replace the switch than it is to have a mechanical pressure test performed (normally about $150). Just be aware that if the problem remains with the new switch, you will need to still have the pressure tested to see exactly what your pressure is and if you have a more serious problem to deal with.

Again, if you haven't already, check/replace the oil though if it is overdue. This will cause this issue as well if it has been a long time since the last oil change.